Reparations

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I can tell you, no one here is more sorry that we brought slaves from Africa than me. The United States would be a better country if our ancestors hadn't done that. Think about it.
I agree. Our ancestors did us no favors. First and foremost, I don't believe in slavery. Never have. We can't enslave another human being. Having said that, if our ancestors needed help on their large plantations, then have more kids, downsize or pay for the labor. You don't enslave anyone.
You want reparations, then go to Africa and sue the families of those who rounded up their own people and sold them to the slave masters. Yup. They don't like to admit it, but their own people sold them out. Easier to blame their woes on the white man and put out their hand. I wonder how successful slavery would have been if it weren't for many acting in collusion. I feel bad as to what happened to them all those years ago. But every time this reparation issue rears it's ugly head, my sympathies lessen. I can learn from the past, but I don't want to live in it. Time to move on. It's past due. You'll get not one thin dime from me, Carmine.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of how, and if the Brazilian people are treated in consideration of slavery? After all, if people think America was the only, or biggest country using slaves, they might want to do some reading. Maybe is just because we live in America, however I don't ever hear about the other countries that had slaves.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I don't know much, actually nothing, about other countries having slaves. From what little I read, en route to the US from Africa, some were dropped off at the Caribbean islands. Not really sure how many might have made it to Central and South America, Carmine.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think the Brits & the French got the ball rolling originally about shipping slaves here didn't they?

Mark

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I can tell you, no one here is more sorry that we brought slaves from Africa than me. The United States would be a better country if our ancestors hadn't done that. Think about it.

Could you imagine sitting down in your most bestest comphy chair with your flavorite drink in hand watching a bunch of Crackers playing basketball or football with not one minority person in their ranks. Man it staggers the imagination what life would be like in this country now if slavery never happened , I'm sure the DemonCraps would have come up with something though they probably would have started mining for Wetbacks a hell of a lot earlier.

Mark

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Could you imagine sitting down in your most bestest comphy chair with your flavorite drink in hand watching a bunch of Crackers playing basketball or football with not one minority person in their ranks. Man it staggers the imagination what life would be like in this country now if slavery never happened , I'm sure the DemonCraps would have come up with something though they probably would have started mining for Wetbacks a hell of a lot earlier.

Mark
Just want to take this thread a little bit further. I really hope what I'm going to say doesn't get misconstrued or come out wrong. The other night, I was watching a baseball game on tv and when everyone was defensively on the field and ready to play, they showed the different players and their names and positions. Seven out of 9 were of Latino descent based on their name. I don't believe many are US citizens. They give their origin, many from central and south America, Caribbean Islands, and several need interpreters. I find it so hard to believe, that in this country of 330 million people, we don't have enough young people, US citizens, born and raised here, who have an interest in competing for these baseball positions. Seriously, is there something wrong with our young people today? Do they lack drive? Enthusiasm? Desire? Dedication? Discipline? Can that many not have a talent and not want to make millions of dollars?? I know that many Latinos come from warm climates and they can play baseball everyday. So, with some practice and talent, they make the majors. There are many colleges in the south and west coast that have a nice climate to play in year round, but I don't see much coming from them. Listen, if you're that good no matter where you come from, then you should make the big leagues. I would never begrudge anyone that. I would just like to see more home grown talent. But, that's just me, Carmine.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Carmine, someone will always take what you say no matter what it is or the subject and either misconstrue what you said or meant. Doesn't matter. The name calling will always follow. Because they are the problem. They think and live looking for an issue that may, or may not exist. And if they don't find it based on their limited knowledge, they will invent something to support their claim that it is offensive in some way be it racism, sexism, homophobism, patriotism, etc. This pretty much explains almost all of the left. The first thing you may want to consider is who is going into sports and why? For some, they claim, the only way to better their lives is through sports, and or RAP. Basketball, Football, baseball, etc. They claim that education and hard work is not the answer to becoming successful. How many fortune 500 executives had sports scholarships? Some may, but the only real way is education and hard work. And they just don't get it.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just want to take this thread a little bit further. I really hope what I'm going to say doesn't get misconstrued or come out wrong. The other night, I was watching a baseball game on tv and when everyone was defensively on the field and ready to play, they showed the different players and their names and positions. Seven out of 9 were of Latino descent based on their name. I don't believe many are US citizens. They give their origin, many from central and south America, Caribbean Islands, and several need interpreters. I find it so hard to believe, that in this country of 330 million people, we don't have enough young people, US citizens, born and raised here, who have an interest in competing for these baseball positions. Seriously, is there something wrong with our young people today? Do they lack drive? Enthusiasm? Desire? Dedication? Discipline? Can that many not have a talent and not want to make millions of dollars?? I know that many Latinos come from warm climates and they can play baseball everyday. So, with some practice and talent, they make the majors. There are many colleges in the south and west coast that have a nice climate to play in year round, but I don't see much coming from them. Listen, if you're that good no matter where you come from, then you should make the big leagues. I would never begrudge anyone that. I would just like to see more home grown talent. But, that's just me, Carmine.

Why bother with worrying about where any player is from? I like pro sports to enjoy highly competitive contest. Couldn't care less about the players color, national original etc I want to see the very best available competing against one another. So be it if the majority of the best are from a different race/nationality, My personal feelings are most people that don't like seeing a race other then their own dominating a sport were never athletic in their lifetime. As a very good athlete (former) I respect anyone that could out do me, what ever he might have been. I like to consider sports as an equalizer free of racism, obviously it's not though.

Junkman 104

Well Seasoned Member
a96870f6943a6b0cbc01a7bc0801e806f28f0ec7cf1057284c69f007596fa48b.gif

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Our one grandson is 11, and when he visits, he parks his butt on the couch. with his tablet or phone. :doh He is under it's spell.:confused I tell him, "C'mon outside and throw the ball around." He won't do it.:doh He is underweight, and not very muscular. He doesn't do anything, to work up an appetite. I tell my son, to take the tablet and phone away.:dunno2 I guess I'm farting, in the wind. When we were kids, we were lucky to have a Transistor Radio.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Why bother with worrying about where any player is from? I like pro sports to enjoy highly competitive contest. Couldn't care less about the players color, national original etc I want to see the very best available competing against one another. So be it if the majority of the best are from a different race/nationality, My personal feelings are most people that don't like seeing a race other then their own dominating a sport were never athletic in their lifetime. As a very good athlete (former) I respect anyone that could out do me, what ever he might have been. I like to consider sports as an equalizer free of racism, obviously it's not though.

I too don't care about the race of people. The sad thing is we stopped watching ALL sports when protesting and disrespect for our country started about 4 years ago. Just the other day I saw an article ( only skimmed it ) talking about this lady ( white ) on the U.S. women's team, believe it was soccer, that says she will not sing the national anthem because she is protesting. She is on the U.S. team. Why is she there if she hates this country? Another piece of garbage taking from this country. Piece of liberal left wing garbage. They hate it here, but they are not leaving. Cant imagine why?

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I too don't care about the race of people. The sad thing is we stopped watching ALL sports when protesting and disrespect for our country started about 4 years ago. Just the other day I saw an article ( only skimmed it ) talking about this lady ( white ) on the U.S. women's team, believe it was soccer, that says she will not sing the national anthem because she is protesting. She is on the U.S. team. Why is she there if she hates this country? Another piece of garbage taking from this country. Piece of liberal left wing garbage. They hate it here, but they are not leaving. Cant imagine why?

I still watch some baseball but just like you say Jeff when these overpaid rich clown started to complain about how their people are treated mostly the ones that the cops shoot for a variety of reasons I quit watching. And I say to these athletes try to educate your people when a cop tells you to quit doing what you are doing listen to them and get a job quit selling drugs drop out of the gang you hang with and quit trying to see how many kids you can make with yo Ho and then donate to their cause with all the millions of dollars you earn in a season and if this sounds unreasonable to you take your Funky Azz and get on the next bus out of this country.

Mark

chuckl

Well Known Member
Cecil, you got it right. Few people want to acknowledge these facts; they want to believe only blacks/African-Americans were slaves. Black slaves were valuable and were not starved, beaten or lynched, on every whim, as thought today. Irish slaves often did jobs that were so unhealthy or dangerous that black slaves were not made to do. When Irish slaves died, they were simply thrown away to rot in the fields or were buried in the spoil dredgings for sloughs and canals. "Irish Bayou" in Louisiana wasn't named for all the niceties afforded to the Irish. Irish slaves often starved to death because "...it was 'no more sin to kill an Irishmen than a dog or other brute.'" Erin go bragh

Chuckl