repop 1962 rear license light assy is JUNK

denson1932

Well Known Member
I'm off fuming about the next problem...the ABSOLUTELY JUNK sold-for 1961-64 Impala license plate light assembly #166758 or [562451] or TA2184 or 40-166758 that is completely wrong. Wire lead comes out at wrong end and mounting bracket is incorrect.... wont mount up...The foreign countries dump crap on us and we buy it. Or maybe the rash of incorrect parts like this light and also the 1962 SBC clutch Z arm can be traced to the LA dockworkers strike this past year causing the distributors to bag and ship just about anything they could to fill orders....

Attachments

• DSCF0617.JPG
    DSCF0617.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCF0618.JPG
    DSCF0618.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCF0619.JPG
    DSCF0619.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCF0620.JPG
    DSCF0620.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCF0623.JPG
    DSCF0623.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Wow
Reactions: 327

Obnxs1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looks like someone assembled it wrong. Does the socket come out with those screws or is that just for the lens? Otherwise it looks like that socket has mounting tabs that bend over to hold it to the base. At least from what I can see on your shot from the back side.

denson1932

Well Known Member
i don't understand why i should have to pry the bulb socket apart and drill a big hole at the correct end to re-mount it and then drill new screw mounting holes with the correct offset. I'm too cheap to pay the return postage for this piece of crap so i screwed some new mounting brackets to it and torqued it in there for the next owner to cuss at...A reminder to myself to never buy from that supplier again....

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
As you said repro parts can be junk sometimes. I have found more and more of this happening.
I insist that I be told who makes the parts or I do not buy them.
Past experience I have found who makes good parts
so I will not buy unless they are from the correct company. I also return parts with to the point letters on quality - and to date I get my money back.

"A Few examples" are exterior emblems (buy only Trim Parts), 62 under dash firewall pad - buy only the more costly one in gray and with the correct rubber bottom edge. Fargo brand vent window rubbers do not fit - buy only Steele Products.
Use original chrome have it restored and reanodized for grilles, hood lips, side chrome(repro chrome is poor quality). Also restore/polish all your original stainless and use it -it fits. Do not buy repro hood hinges they are junk, have originals restored with new rivits (company in Virginia).

I actually take the original license lights(ones that are not pitted), have them plated gold zinc chromate(you could bead blast and paint them gold), install a new trim parts lens and a new gasket. I actually have extras that I have done.

Paul

bobs409

Administrator
I'm lucky with this part in that I bought a NOS license light way way back around 1985 from LGC!

PS, the box is for sale. :crazy

Geary Trussell

Well Known Member
Who did you buy the part from? Is there any manufacturer info on the box or wrapper? We need to out these bad suppliers. make sure you complain to who you purchased the part from. It not going to get any better unless we complain and get the word out to these part quality suppliers and manufacturers.

montemike79

Well Known Member
Just found this out myself the hard way. Bought a new one from Cars Inc. and it doesn't fit. Going to blast my old one and paint it gold like Paul said and install the new lens from the repop assembly.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have original 1961 & 1962 license assembly’s “zinc plated” gold with or without news lenses and new gaskets
and zinc plated silver original mounting screws “to sell”.
Paul

Well Known Member
Yes nothing like OEM parts when you can find them. As others have said, repro parts are not always as good.

montemike79

Well Known Member
Thanks Paul, I'm going to bead blast my original one and use it. It's actually not that bad, and the wire and bulb socket look good. I thought by buying a new one it would save me some time, guess not. I can use the lens and screws from the new one.