Report from Indy (NIA event)

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Just go back from the National Impala Association event held in Indy. What a great time!

I actually left last Friday and headed first to the Toledo, Ohio area for a bit of a high school reunion. Hit some golf balls, did a bit of water skiing on the Maumee River and went to a roundy-round event on Saturday. Sunday was another round of golf and later in the day I headed to visit my Mom in the old hometown suburbs of Cleveland. Spent Monday doing errands for Mom, getting the house in order, that sort of thing.

Tuesday morning I headed 350 miles to Indy and arrived around 2:ish, just after Allen, Denny and Bo got there with their ’62 race cars. Some really nice cars were in the Show-n-Shine. Ran into a bunch of new fellas who I had talked to and heard about but had not yet met. Hank Gabbert was there with that oh-so-fine 1963 Z-11 car, Jack Gibbs and his buddy Gary from Colorado Springs brought up the only ’62 Sport Coupe, and it was a beauty, Black over Red. Saw a neat 1961 black Biscayne post car with what looked to be pretty correct 360 horse 409. There were a number of neat station wagons, a few 58s and 59s, and Larry Barnes came out with his son and that sweet 409-powered 1954 Corvette! Verne Frantz made the comment that there were more 427 Impalas in one place than he had ever seen before! His buddy Tom Payne brought a sweet Silver over Silver 1964 SS car that they took to the track the next day.

I was somewhat wiped out on Tuesday from all the travel and didn’t take too many close up photos at the Show-n-Shine, but I did take a few from a distance. Tuesday night a group of us hung out at the hotel’s pub and spent four hours waiting to be served dinner. Luckily we had lots to talk about and they did manage to drop off a few cold ones… About 10 o’clock Phil Reed and his wife Candy showed up after riding 450 miles on a pair of Harleys. We played until maybe 11:30 then headed for the sack so we could get up early for the day at the track.

Wednesday morning we headed to the O’Reilly NHRA track around 7:45 and the weather gods let the guys play a bit, even though the skies were cloudy and dark and a few times we got spit upon. Allen and Denny unloaded their race cars, then put ‘em back in again when it looked like it might rain. Luckily it blew by and the sun actually came out, and Hank lead the pack with a “reserved” run in the Z-11 followed by a rather robust run by Denny Ford (I think he went something like 10.86). Allen made a great first pass, followed by Verne Frantz in his buddy’s 1964 SS car (327 four speed powered I think). Some of the BBC cars lined up and made a pass. Loren (Gearhead409) and his pall Jimmy brought their sweet 1963 Belair post and made a few runs as well. Shan’s buddy Terry, from Mishawaka showed up at the track also. Most of these guys were at Norwalk last summer and the summer before that.

The weather looked a bit threatening around 12 noon, and I had to get back to Missouri, so I took off and immediately hit rain on the freeway. Had the wipers on all the way home, especially in St. Louis where visibility was limited. Sucky ride home, but a fun weekend all the way around!

All total I put 1300 more miles on the ’62 SS 409 car. That trip alone took care of most of my “incentive check “ from the IRS. In the last two years I have racked up 7500 miles on the new build. Can’t think of a better use for it!

A big “Thanks!” to Hank Gabbert for his stories on how he found the Z-11 car, to Jack Gibbs and his buddy Gary for the engaging conversation and for answering all my silly questions, to Bob Walla for the cold Coors Light and allowing me to touch the aluminum block, to Bo and Denny for their sage advise and comraderie, to Allen George for the hospitality and the jump start when my battery gave it up in the parking lot on the way to the track, to Phil and Candy for bringing their road bikes and for joining in on the fun, and to a Jody Anderson and his wife for hosting the event. We were all excited when Loren and Jimmy showed up at the last minute at the track and brought that sweet Black ’63 Belair. We certainly all had a great time!

Enjoy the picks, although they were from a distance, you might be able to spot who was running at the time!

Cheers!
TomK

Attachments

• NIA July 29 2008 006A.jpg
    NIA July 29 2008 006A.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 163
  • NIA July 29 2008 007A.jpg
    NIA July 29 2008 007A.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 164
  • NIA July 29 2008 011A.jpg
    NIA July 29 2008 011A.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 126
  • NIA July 29 2008 012A.jpg
    NIA July 29 2008 012A.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 112
  • NIA July 29 2008 014A.jpg
    NIA July 29 2008 014A.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 112

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the post Tom. Glad you had a safe trip home. The table pictures are real keepers. Hope we get to hear more stories from the others.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Thanks for bringing us up to speed Tom.:deal
Sounds like a good time was had by all.:cheers

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Around the table

In case some of you haven't had the pleasure to meet some of these smiling faces sitting around the table, here is the run down:

First pic Left to Right:

Denny Ford (62 Biscayne)
Allen George (Bluescreamer - 62 Impala)
TomK (me)
Bob Walla (Region rat - 64 SS with Z-11 top end and of course, author of those aluminum parts)
Jack Gibbs (Prehistoric Rat and owner of 409 Total Performance in Willows, CA)

Second pic, from L to R:

Bob Walla
Jack Gibbs
Gary J. (didn't get his full last name, great guy, restored that perfect '62 Black over Red bubbletop and an even more perfect customer car, a 1963 SS convert, which he delivered at the event)
Hank Gabbort (sp?) owner of the Z-11 car that was the centerpiece of the event, and first guy down the track!
Candy Reed, just in from a 450 mile Harley ride with
Phil Reed, both from KC (but often found in Texas and elsewhere :)
Denny Ford
Allen George

I'll look and see if I have any other good pics, most were taken from tooo far away...

Cheers!
TomK

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A lot of experience and knowledge around that table Tom. :bow Great to here a good time had by all.

Have been admiring Dennys wheels up launch for the past month.............cool car :beerbang
Carl.

gearhead409

Well Known Member
jimmie and i had a great time. got to see some of our old buddies and met some new ones. jimmie got 10 runs in before the rain came, our times weren't good, no traction. best time was 12.66, on a good day it will run 12.05-12.20. it's a street car, weighs about 4000 lbs with him in it with 3.70 gear and 2.66 1st gear. not an easy car to get off the line but at 4000rpm lanches it always pulls the front wheels and left well, but not yesterday.jimmie fell off our car trailer while showing Phil Reed his engine bay and twisted his knee so we left for home about 2:30. thanks to Jody Anderson and to everyone for all the fun!!! Loren Bowers

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I was at the race

No 09 though. Meet a few people. Phil Reed has to be one of the nicest people I've meet.

The car was a slow but I did get triple digets.

The pics TomK posted... Thats the backs of my dad, wife, mother and 2 daughters.:p

Attachments

• irp.jpg
    irp.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 94

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Cleveland boy

Dave:

Nope, but my buddy from high school now lives there, which is why we were in the area. He went to BGSU.

We grew up in the suburbs of Cleveland (Parma, Ohio) and I went to CWRU. Here's a shot of me the other day in my parent's driveway. This is similar to a pic I have of my Dad back in the mid 60s when he had a 1962 Impala :).

Enjoy!
TomK

Attachments

• HMWHers and visit to MOM July 26 - 28 2008 018A.jpg
    HMWHers and visit to MOM July 26 - 28 2008 018A.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 86

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
A couple more pics

Some additional photos.

TomK

Attachments

• NIA July 29 2008 001A.jpg
    NIA July 29 2008 001A.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 88
  • NIA July 29 2008 002A.jpg
    NIA July 29 2008 002A.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 77
  • NIA July 29 2008 003A.jpg
    NIA July 29 2008 003A.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 94
  • NIA July 29 2008 004A.jpg
    NIA July 29 2008 004A.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 93
  • NIA July 29 2008 009A.jpg
    NIA July 29 2008 009A.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 93

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Tom,
The reason I asked was that my family all originally came from Toledo, on my dad's side, and I still have lots of family there, some that I haven't met in person. Some day I need to go back and chase down some of my "roots" in Ohio.

thanks for the pics!

Dave Cummerow

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Indy

more pictures

Attachments

• indy 3.jpg
    indy 3.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 86
  • indy 4.jpg
    indy 4.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 77
  • indy 5.jpg
    indy 5.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 93

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
some more pics

Attachments

• indy 6.jpg
    indy 6.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 83
  • indy 7.jpg
    indy 7.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 81
  • indy 8.jpg
    indy 8.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 63

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Indy (NIA)

Tom
Got home half hour ago, long night. 1250 miles round trip. Left Thrusday
afternoon after the drags where finished.
Went out to IRP Thrusday after noon for picture taking. Lined show cars
and drag cars up on the track. Jody took pictures from the top of Timing tower, and looking down track. I think there where thirty cars lined up, very inpressive.
I believe there where nine in competion for the drags.
I at least went 3 rounds to the semi final, had a big RED light ending my quest.. The day was beautiful but hot. the car was lazy.
Had a great time meeting new people, and bench racing with all.
Allen

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Glad to hear you made it home safe. It was nice to meet you. That sure is a long haul.

I probable should have cam back Thursday, but there is alot of stuff going on at work. I also was gone for 3 weeks before the race. All due the the mid west flooding. Maybe a story for another time.

FYI My first pass was a 14.1. I got 4 total and my last was 13.8 @100. :D That was my first goal. I'm sure it will go 13.5 with some more effort. It should be good for 13.2. I was/is doing something weird at the top of each gear.??? I'l be checking valve springs, ignition, and fuel. I know of a few thing that need fixed.

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
NIA Event

No, Bob didn,t get it back on the track. The bottom line was the
left side wasn't getting oil. He will be checking the possible
problem areas.
He will inform me when he checks the distributor.
Allen

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Had A Blast!!!!

We made it home yesterday about 3..............1341 miles on the bikes!! Had to take a "side road trip" on the way home to look at some parts!!!!:clap

It was a blast for me!!! I got to ride a HARLEY DAVIDSON motorcycle to an IMPALA convention to drive a CORVETTE with a Z-11 at IRP........one of the most famous racetracks in the country!!!!:clap: That's me with Denny Ford's blue racing jacket and helmet in the 54 Corvette!! Somehow...this Larry Barnes let's me get away with driving his cars!!

Took it thru twice on Wed. The first time I have the trans in 2nd...4-speed automatic....and did a burn out and the back tires just went up in smoke!!!!:clap: Went sideways down the track so had to get out of it. Turned the quarter in 16 something.:bang So the second pass...just put it in drive and stomped the go pedal....this one has big "balls" so the pedal doesn't come off!! The car went sideways again for about probaly 50 yards or more so I got out of it...straightened up and mashed the go pedal again. Went thru the traps at 104.6 MPH even after all that!!! Just proved that I can take a legit 13 second car and put it deep into the 15:50s!!!!!!!!!!!:roll

At the awards banquet Thursday night, one of the drag racing awards was for best burnout. Jody said, based on my first pass, that I had won until they raced again on Thursday. Seems a car raced with an open rearend and he smoked the right rear tire until about half track!!! He won the award!!!!

Great to see old friends and make new ones. All the guys at the table in the picture plus Loren, Rusty Simms, Kris Kringle, Joe Shay from Dallas...........See Ronnie!!!!.... and met Tom (SSpev). Glad we went!!!

Gas....$200
Motel room $471
Driving the Corvette............PRICELESS!!!!

Loren and Tom.........thanks for the kind words!! Your aluminum heads are in the mail!!!!:roll

Ronnie.................did you notice Loren's post the night before............how they decided at the last moment to make a "spontaneous" trip???????????:roll:roll:roll We'll get you up here some time!!!