Repro Headlight Switch

Bobaloo

Well Known Member
Has anyone had any bad results from using a repro headlight switch for the
58-63, as opposed to buying a used one or the hard to (buy) find GM part for $90?

Old School

Supporting Member 1
I don't know about the 63 switch. But, I bought a repop switch for a 64 and it didn't work on the dim for the dash lights and the interior lights kept coming on.. You had to jiggle the knob to get the interior light to go off..

A piece of Chinese crap! Look for a GM switch

bobs409

Administrator
Don't have any experience on them but if it were me, I'd find a good used one. Knowing repro parts track experience, they probably don't work right and most likely imported. :grumble: Besides, it would be one less Taiwan part on your classic AMERICAN Chevy! :brow

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I bought one for my 63 from Harmons [I think] and it works perfectly no problem at all.

Bobaloo

Well Known Member
My mechanic who did the engine work is employed by one of the last independent parts houses in our town, and he found me a Delco for $40. I guess I will try that, still not knowing it's country of origin.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My mechanic who did the engine work is employed by one of the last independent parts houses in our town, and he found me a Delco for $40. I guess I will try that, still not knowing it's country of origin.

Yes, Delco imports parts too!

gbafus

Well Known Member
I guess I was just lucky. I used a repop switch off of ebay on my '58. Paid about $20. Works fine so far.

Bobaloo

Well Known Member
Well, it could have been worse, I got the switch, the Delco part turned out to be a directional switch(!) it is branded Standard, made in Mexico, but is a perfect copy of the original. The hardware worked with it just fine, even the little aluminum screw dealie to hold it in the dash, went in perfect. Seems to work okay. (So far).

Bobaloo

Well Known Member
One more entry to let you know, the STANDARD headlight switch worked very well. After the sun went down I went out in the driveway to check everything, and I must say it's all good. I had to pay $42.00 but I think it was worth it, no shipping or waiting, and I can always return it to my local parts store.