Restarting my 348 project!!

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Ok good, I’ll bolt the heads on and that’s done. Deal with the push rods then

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I’ll do that. I’ll use the first cylinder. I’ll check the old gasket for thickness and may use that for a mock up. I may have to use the new one

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Tim,At this point,I'd remove one intake and exhaust valve spring and replace them with checking or "light" springs.Place the head gasket on[unless you're using g the steel shim gaskets],place the head on and measure for correct push rod length.With the piston and cam that you're running,as long as the cam is degreed properly,there won't be close to any valve to piston interferrance issues.You can also "clay" the top of the piston before you put the head on for the push rod measurement for insurance.Slow down "Rookie",you're getting there.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Don I have the dual spring ones out of the 555 truck heads. If I take the inside one out will the outside one be good enough to use for what I need to do?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I'd use the inside spring if I had no other choice.Your cyl.head guy might have a couple of the checking springs that he could loan you,or I can mail you a couple of mine.

Reactions: Tim

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I’ll check Nova. They must have checking springs. They’ve been good to me so far.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Better overkill than not Kevin. I’ve never used roller rockers before and I was scratching my head thinking there was something supposed to be under them

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Is a crack in the spring/valve guide boss a concern?

Attachments

• C9ED4EA1-932B-4C70-BDF7-979089726D8E.jpeg
    C9ED4EA1-932B-4C70-BDF7-979089726D8E.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 29

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Using an adjustable push rod I got the measurements the best I could. Rollers on the rockers are dead Center on the valve stem. Used solid lifters and the inner part of the old springs as checking springs. (Can hold them down and put locks on by hand). Snugged the rockers down with nothing loose and rotated the engine twice. Used a sharpie to Mark the stem to see where the roller moved.

Attachments

• 852C3D27-65A3-47DF-9A58-2D752BFC3E39.jpeg
    852C3D27-65A3-47DF-9A58-2D752BFC3E39.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 8B83ABC8-909C-4875-AACB-2A1DDD6C488B.jpeg
    8B83ABC8-909C-4875-AACB-2A1DDD6C488B.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 12

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Guides are new James and that crack wasn’t there when I dropped it off. I know because I took the old guides out myself. I’ll check all the rest but I’m disappointed they didn’t say anything. The only reason I saw it was taking off the springs to put checking springs on. I don’t think it will go any farther than it is.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Why do they make the coolant holes so much smaller in the gasket than the hole underneath it in the block?

Attachments

• 03E45AC4-83C1-4C3B-BC58-7258D7EBD434.jpeg
    03E45AC4-83C1-4C3B-BC58-7258D7EBD434.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 13