Restarting my 348 project!!

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks for teaching me what I may have to go thru with mine if I go throttle body efi.If I want computer controlled timing[I do] a sleeve such as this will be my only option.

now that I got it figured out it’s a very easy solution to the W motor distributors and opens the door to all the SBC stuff available. Show Cars did an excellent job making this part and it works. Getting it figured out was a bit clunky. Once I see Steve’s and where to collar sits it’s just getting the shim to take up the gap and all good. Seeing how his hold down is made too. I won’t even have to shim for play because I have .010 with it as is. Just have to make sure the shims/gaskets aren’t more than the gap to fill. I certainly learned a lot with this. I’ll try and gather the info,condense it and put it all in it’s own thread.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
James, that would work however looking at the sleeve and the shaft I’m pretty sure the collar has to but under the distributor flange. The shaft boss on the distributor that the sleeve slides on to isn’t that wide and if The collar was on the intake over half the collar clamping in behind the sleeve there’s nothing there on the shaft but a space. My concern would be it coming loose over time. Both the sleeve and collar are light aluminum.
having said that the sleeve is less diameter than the intake opening and the collar not sitting on the intake would need that gap sealed.
once Steve gets a pic of his I’ll know if it sits on the intake with your idea will be ok. I like that option better. The collar where the clamp screw has a space like a piston ring in it that would need a dab of silicone to seal it Too

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
James, I’ll get an outside diameter of the sleeve. Whatever you use would have to go over that. I was thinking a piece of aluminum flat bar the right thickness like in the pic and using a hole saw to cut the inside hole and outside diameter.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
James I got measurements,
Sleeve OD is 1.489
Shim needed is only .090
Pinion shims are the right size but I don’t have one that thick so I’m using the aluminum flat bar .080. By the time I add some silicone to both sides for seal I’ll be at the .090. I’ll put the shim on the bottom so the collar is under the distributor flange and it clamps all the top of the sleeve on the distributor shaft.

Attachments

• 6EEAEF68-71FD-4C19-9E5B-6721E17F17C0.jpeg
    6EEAEF68-71FD-4C19-9E5B-6721E17F17C0.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 12
  • B3E0E82B-0E6C-4498-AF55-B7DCE745C3A6.jpeg
    B3E0E82B-0E6C-4498-AF55-B7DCE745C3A6.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 13

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Tim, here are the photos of my clamp and distributor sleeve, the sleeve on mine sits below the top of the collar so my mag sets against the collar. If your sleeve does not go down to where its flush or lower than the collar you need to put a spacer under the collar (you will have to make one and don't forget you will need a gasket above and below the spacer). That black spacer on my intake came on there from Hilborn and John (the person who built my motor)
added to that riser for the hold down clamp to pivot on, hope this helps clear things up.
Steve....

IMG_5797.JPGIMG_5798.JPGIMG_5801.JPGIMG_5803.JPGIMG_5804.JPGIMG_5807.JPG

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Tim when you put it altogether with the right shim I would leave that pinch bolt loose on the collar until you tighten down your hold down clamp. Then tighten the pinch bolt and after that you can loosen your distributor clamp adjust your timing. I can't slide that sleeve onto my mag until I loosen that pinch bolt as it reduces the inside diameter of that tube.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Don't forget to allow for gaskets above and below that shim, you can see in my photos my mag was sealed down to the top of the collar with some type of silicone. In case your wondering no I did not pull my mag just to take photos, I took it out as I have been doing some welding on my car and you don't want to do any welding with a mag in the motor. :good

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
With the right gasket material I might be able to use a pinion shim as a spacer. I’ll mock it up and see where it ends up. I can make a shim easy enough out of thin aluminum flat bar. The hold down will take some manipulating. But I have an idea for that. Stay tuned.....

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Tim if you could get a piece of 13ga. (.0897) sheet metal you could take it to a shop and have it water jetted out to the inside and outside diameter of a W motor distributor gasket, water jetting cuts so clean it will be ready to install.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Going through my checklist and “check rocker stud clearance” is on there. Noticed after snugging the covers down The studs dented the covers I’ll have to get the spacers. Don’t think The big gaskets will be enough.

Attachments

• 899B85AD-F839-4A33-BD00-6D0F369AA429.jpeg
    899B85AD-F839-4A33-BD00-6D0F369AA429.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 58B5AD14-ED4E-4CEA-B345-D5A933FA41B3.jpeg
    58B5AD14-ED4E-4CEA-B345-D5A933FA41B3.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 13

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Shim mock up. With the distributor in the hole it’s engaged in the oil pump shaft and cam gear with .050 up and down play. The sleeve is bottomed out and is tight to the bottom of the distributor flange so it can’t go down in the hole anymore unless some is filed off top of the sleeve. Shims are;
gasket material is Rubber felpro .030 (1/32) Top and bottom of collar and a .030 pinion steel shim to take up the rest of the .090 space. It’s snug at this measurement.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 14

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Steve, based on what you have where would I put the steel shim? Directly under the collar or between the intake and gasket?

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Tim I think you would need a gasket above and below that shim or some kind of sealer between the intake and underside of the shim. You need to keep a gasket between the shim and the underside of that collar so you can adjust timing as that tube is tight on the distributor shaft after you tighten that pinch bolt the tube will rotate with the distributor during timing adjustments.