Restoration Paint Chart ?'s Brake Drums and Backing Plate

Brandon 348/320

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
There are several areas in the restoration paint chart section that are not filled in. I was checking to make sure that the brake drums and backing plates were supposed to be painted black. Nothing noted. I put my front ones into the parts washer just to clean them off and a #3 appeared on the front drivers side. Is this section left blank because some plants painted them black and others left them natural? My 60 was built in Atlanta. Tommy sent me some pictures of the rear brake drums on his 61 and he looks like he put them back natrural or cast iron grey? I couldn't see hardly any black paint on either through the rust and grease. Also what is the spring around the front brake drum for? And is that spring left natural?

In addition to this. I wish we had a place where we could list all of the parts and bolts on a particular area of these cars and have the members fill it out as what finish the parts and bolts, wash ers, screws, nuts, and spacers should be finished in. Does anyone have a good way to look at these bolts etc and be able to tell what finish they had? Its hard to tell if they were cad plated, black phosphate or natural? I would love to have an assembly manual that shows every nut and bolt be reproduced with an indication beside each bolt etc and what finish it should be. It would be a great help at getting these cars restored to the way they rolled off of the line for the people who are trying to do a concourse restoration. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. IMG_3001.jpg IMG_2987.JPG

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Brandon,
You are correct in your assumption that I painted the rear drums on my white SS cast iron or natural. That restoration took place 14 years ago and I have since learned this is incorrect. The drums should be black. Verne Frantz convinced me some years ago that the entire rear assembly should be black. Verne has photos showing complete rears racked and ready to be installed under cars. I still believe the third member housing was originaly red oxide but after the rear was assemblied the entire unit including rear backing plates and drums was painted black. After being painted the brake lines were installed so these should not have paint. Hope this clears this up. I believe Verne says the front drums should also black.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Tommy, I don't know if you have ever seen this series of interviews with a retired assembly line worker for Pontiac back in the mid 60's. There is a 5 part interview series at this link. http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-bin/pub9990262549620.cgi?categoryid=9990286562979 Fascinating trivia on how things were done. About halfway through the article, he mentions that a lot of parts from the vendors arrived with no black paint applied. After installation on the frame assembly, the frame would stop at a paint booth where black "goop" would be "slopped on" for corrosion protection and eye appeal. He does mention the the differential assemblies arrived bare metal with only color codes applied for gear ratios etc. You can also see in the photos where the lower a arms and sway bars were unpainted when first installed. This is the link to the paint process. Leo http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-...562979&page=1&placeonpage=6&totaldisplayed=50

Last edited:

Brandon 348/320

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks Tommy. So I will do them black. What about the spring around the front hub? What is that for and what finish on that?
Neat read on the interview with the retired Pontiac guy. I was impressed that he could remember all of those details.

bobs409

Administrator
There are several areas in the restoration paint chart section that are not filled in.

Is this section left blank because some plants painted them black and others left them natural?

Blank areas are only there because I did not have the "known" information to put in.

Also what is the spring around the front brake drum for? And is that spring left natural?

I believe the spring is to help eliminate any vibration. Not sure on color.

In addition to this. I wish we had a place where we could list all of the parts and bolts on a particular area of these cars and have the members fill it out as what finish the parts and bolts, washers, screws, nuts, and spacers should be finished in. It would be a great help at getting these cars restored to the way they rolled off of the line for the people who are trying to do a concourse restoration.

Me too. This is exactly why I created that section however I received little to no input so it stays incomplete.

bobs409

Administrator
Brandon,
You are correct in your assumption that I painted the rear drums on my white SS cast iron or natural. That restoration took place 14 years ago and I have since learned this is incorrect. The drums should be black.

I believe Verne says the front drums should also black.

Thanks Tommy, now I have to repaint my drums. :D