Restoration Value

Kevin Shelly

Well Known Member
Hello All. I have question to get some folks thoughts on what restoring a 58 Sport Coupe with the incorrect exterior paint will do to the value of the car. My car was restored prior to me purchasing it and whoever did the job painted the outside with 910A Cashmere Blue and not the 916A Aegean Turquoise that is called out on the cowl tag. The car looks fantastic but the color doesn't match the tag. The interior matches the tag along with all the other items, to my knowledge. Just curious about the value??? Thanks for your opinions.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'd say you may or may not get the cost of a paint job back by painting it the original colour. However, the big question is, how original is the rest of the car?

If you like it the way it is, leave it alone would be my advice.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would say no difference in value to most people. Only a hard core individual looking for that exact car/color would be concerned.

Kevin Shelly

Well Known Member
I appreciate the comments. The rest of the car is correct. The interior is still original according to the collector I bought it from and as far as I can tell, he seems right. Motor, rear are matching but the turboglide was replaced with a 64 aluminum powerglide.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
A color change is not much on a all original car. If the rest of the car is original, that one change is something that just not deter from the car. The quality of the car restored is more important than a paint change.

A good example I think, is a 1000 point Late Great Chevy show, a color change is only one change on the car. Only two changes allow the car to be in the 1000 point Contemporary Class as compared to the Restored class (that requires zero changes from original).
For those who are not familiar there are 3 judges for each car, for the 1000 point judging and the scores are averaged for the 3 judges.
A Modified 1000 Point class allows 3 to 5 changes from original

Paul

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
As long as the car is painted with a color that was available on that car and that year i dont think it will hurt the value however a non available color with make a big difference.

Agent Blue

Well Known Member
If it is true this is a hobby why are there so many bankers ? When you purchase the car,( or what ever object ) that is the value to you. Hobbies or toys seldom are money making ventures. To worry about what the next person thinks about an incorrect color, hubcap, or interior is so ego related. You purchased the car because YOU liked it, ..... and that is all that matters. Enjoy the ownership, have fun. When it becomes a money issue total your receipts, look at the market ( not BJ ) and advertise at a value that would attract a new owner similar to your desires.
So many car hobbies turn into getting gold certified money pits the car cover never come off .
A good analogy, did you ever get promoted to management from a job you enjoyed. The added responsibilities, headaches, problems, and environment suddenly make one thinks his life is headed in the wrong direction not worth the few extra dollars involved. Trust me, been there done that. Many find themselves living in a count down to retirement situation. Enjoy the day, polish your pride and your ride. Individual preference certainly outweigh others opinions.
Good luck what ever you plan.