Restored 1963 Impala SS Convertible, Dual-Quad 474 V-8 (409-Based) on Hemmings

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Nice looking Vert but could have been anything as the trim tag is a reproduction according to the sellers own expert. Doing pretty well on its first day of fourteen. Small block radiator shroud?

Last edited:

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
The photos show the car being lifted with the lift pads on a rear floor brace rather than having long enough lift arms or a cross bar that lifts the car on the frame at the rear of the x. That tells me whoever was taking the photos didn't have a clue. Also, it looks like bondo or tar smeared on the inner rockers doesn't it?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Fan shroud is actually a 1959 to 1961 small block fan shroud.
Radiator is not correct for 409 engine
pulley on alternator wrong
Tach is 340HP version wrong for 2-4 motor
the floor pans ( except drivers behind front seat )and the trunk pan have been replaced and some of the braces are new - note how many drain holes are missing in floor pan- not cut out ( there should be 8 factory drain holes in the floor and lower trunk pan)
The convertible spare tire hold down bracket “appears to be missing” from passenger side trunk pan to mount the spare tire and jack for a convertible
The inserts in SS side trim are “tape” SS inserts in lieu of the correct metal SS inserts ( the yellow color )
nice pictures and descriptions car does look nice

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Throw out bearing incorrectly installed. From their assembly photos.

c032f21b-52cb-4d6e-bada-c6833a1110c2.jpeg

Last edited:

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
They found out when the clutch pedal was on the floor. Hope they didn't start it up.
12/13 -Upon closer look, it does appear that the bearing is against the diaphragm fingers.

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Not all corect but, who would know watching it go down the street???:dunno2 I am saying appearance ,non matching numbers not the throw out bearing as mentioned below!!!!:D

Last edited:

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
For those who might not know what is wrong with the throw out bearing installation above, the 2 metal tabs on top of the bearing flange should be in the groove with the clutch fork. They help pull the TO bearing away from the pressure plate fingers and eliminate slack at that point.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Never noticed the tab. I was looking at the bearing surface. That car did very well in my estimation. Plus is that it is a Vert in the right color with a brand new built w. More than I thought it would bring.