Restoring carburetors

RussC

Well Known Member
I guess I need to restore a pair of carbs for Jackshaw. Does anyone here do them? If not who do you recommend? Russ

Jayz63

Well Known Member
What state are you in. My father has been doing carbs for the he past 20-30 years in New Mexico

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I am having a friend do my 3345 carter AFB for my 380/400 HP 409 right now to show quality
He is plating all the arms and linkage. I am not sure on price, I think it will be fair.
He has built 409 cars -did a frame off 62 409- that was funished a little over a year ago for a guy in Sioux Falls, SD (my home town). I sold him parts for the restoration.

He try’s to do a group of carbs at the same time.
I will probably get the carb late next week. He’s from Mesa, Arizona.
Paul

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Daytona Carb. Ron Hewitt 386-427-7108.

Interesting Ron owns all the blueprints for Carter Carbs. He has a rebuilding service and can replate needed parts. Comes back just like factory.
He told me the story but I have forgotten all of it, but he was in a lawsuit for years over the rights to the carbs.

Edelbrock got the rights to make their version of the AFB’s while Ron has the rights to replacement original,parts or something like that.

Anyway, good people.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The web site with that phone # only lists selling parts, and no rebuilding service?
It’s listed as Daytona Parts Co with that phone #.
I was looking in Florida at one point, not sure if this was the company.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
You can go to the landing page for the website, scroll down and they discuss rebuilding services.

tenxal

Well Known Member
I am having a friend do my 3345 carter AFB for my 380/400 HP 409 right now to show quality. He is plating all the arms and linkage. I am not sure on price, I think it will be fair.
He has built 409 cars -did a frame off 62 409- that was funished a little over a year ago for a guy in Sioux Falls, SD (my home town). He’s from Mesa, Arizona.
Paul

Yes, Don is The Man when it comes to carb and intake restoration. :appl

WARPT

Well Known Member
I have a carb. question so I thought I would tag on to this post.
I have 3X2 setup that I want to rebuild the carbs. so I can get around to firing my '61 348 engine. The 3X2 setup came off another engine and the date code on the intake manifold is "H3160". The carbs. could be off of? But they are Rochester 2bbls. The center carb. has the choke on it, the other two do not (and shouldn't). I want to buy the correct carb. kit(s) for these carbs. Only the center carb. has the tag on it, the front carb. has no number stamped on it while the center and rear carbs. have a number stamped in the bowl. I read elsewhere that prior to 1968 Rochester did not stamp the carb. number on the side of the bowl? What are the numbers stamped on my carbs.? Are they '68 or later carbs.? Any information will be appreciated.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Most of the kits today are "Generic" ,meaning they'll work with more than one number carb.If your carbs for your secondary carbs have idle mixture screws,you're in trouble,if not any kit for the secondary carbs should work.Check with Show Cars.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Check with Jon Hardgrove...The Carb Shop....he makes all the correct gasket sets and has the right needles and seats.
Google him for phone number.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Send the carbs and intake to "W head"[looooooong time member here]in Texas.He can take care of the necessary conversion,jetting and linkage set up.If you have idle mixture screws on the secondary carbs,they're not the correct carbs,but most can be converted to work.