Retribution II Z-11 Chevy II

Dr. Pete

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so please excuse any questions that might sound silly to everyone else here at this forum.

Can anyone tell me if the 427 Z-11 Chevy II of Dick Harrell is still around or was it destroyed years ago??

Thanks!

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
First of all,,,, welcome to this site. I think there is much information you can use by using the " search this forum". within this section. Be sure and click on what is neccessary to show threads from the beginning. Good luck.:)

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Thanks Phil

Hey Doc,

Harrell began a friendship with Bill Thomas in the early 60s, it appears that the 1964 Retribution Nova was built from the Bill Thomas road race preparred Nova called Bad Badsom which had a fuelly small block.

http://www.billthomascheetah.com/BillThomasNova.htm

Harrell put the Z11 in the car, took out the corvette rear suspension and put a pontiac full size car rear end,

It was originally painted black with fiberglass parts then changed to Harrells red trademark color. The Z11 was replaced with a 454 BBC with a MT dual quad then Fuel Injected

His mechainics tell me the original Retribution II was wrecked in a giant wheel stand during a drag race. He then used Tommy McNeallys Sad Sack Nova (non SS) as a replacement until his 66 Nova was ready.

Although a big fan of Harrell, I really never knew about the Z11 Powered Nova, but i did get to talk to Richard Petty about the face off with the 43 Jr Barracuda, some of the films are posted on this site.

I am working on a tribute Retribution Z11 Nova started around 2003.

Maybe Larry can chime in here.

Dr. Pete

Mark, I appreciate the reply. I have some old magazines with the Bill Thomas Fuel Injected Chevy II. I had no idea that Retribution II was the same car!! It all makes sense now. Too bad a wheelstand damaged the car beyond repair.

From what I can remember without digging out the magazine, is that Bill Thomas was designing a V-8 swap kit for the Chevy II, and that particular car was featured in an article back in '61 or '62??

Does anyone know when and how Dick Harrell met Bill Thomas, and how they worked out the racing arrangements?

Dr. Pete