Retro Tach

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
  • Thanks. BTW, I checked with ShowCars recently about installing one of their 6k redline '62 style green Sun tach faces and they responded that it would be "very difficult" because the new retro tachs are sealed units. You would have to uncrimp the glass face. Too much trouble. Now for the good news, I am going to let you '61/'62 guys in on a hot deal on Ebay. An NOS EB9A Sun transmitter buy it now for $30 dollars with free shipping. The bad is that it was stored for 50 years with the leaking batteries in it. With all the old tachs being converted anyway, the transmitter boxes are just along for the ride anyway. Just screw it to the inner fender as is. PLEASE I am hoping someone on the forum will buy it or I will grab it at the last minute. Can't let a deal like this go. I'll be watching. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sun-Tachome...Parts_Accessories&hash=item462f5e4a26&vxp=mtr

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
  • Thanks. BTW, I checked with ShowCars recently about installing one of their 6k redline '62 style green Sun tach faces and they responded that it would be "very difficult" because the new retro tachs are sealed units. You would have to uncrimp the glass face. Too much trouble. Now for the good news, I am going to let you '61/'62 guys in on a hot deal on Ebay. An NOS EB9A Sun transmitter buy it now for $30 dollars with free shipping. The bad is that it was stored for 50 years with the leaking batteries in it. With all the old tachs being converted anyway, the transmitter boxes are just along for the ride anyway. Just screw it to the inner fender as is. PLEASE I am hoping someone on the forum will buy it or I will grab it at the last minute. Can't let a deal like this go. I'll be watching. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sun-Tachome...Parts_Accessories&hash=item462f5e4a26&vxp=mtr

Better look again, that's an auction not buy it now. I would have bought it at $30

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
You are correct sir. I have been watching it for 4 days and it hasn't had any other bidders. We will see what it sells for on Tuesday AM. That is a good looking box. I got NOS looking transmitter for a "buy it now" price of $30 and $12 shipping because it has the 6 volt/8 cyl. tag on the box. I have ordered the EB9A tag for mine.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You are correct sir. I have been watching it for 4 days and it hasn't had any other bidders. We will see what it sells for on Tuesday AM. That is a good looking box. I got NOS looking transmitter for a "buy it now" price of $30 and $12 shipping because it has the 6 volt/8 cyl. tag on the box. I have ordered the EB9A tag for mine.

You mean I have to out bid you:rub

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I haven't seen that tachometer yet. I know Moon has a retro tach that looks similar to the original ones and I'd thought about using one of those, but yours looks much more correct. Got a part number?

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thank you. I know some tachs won't work right with multi-spark / CD ignitions. Wonder if that one will.....I've had wild ideas about hiding my Mallory box in a '61 Tissue Dispenser box if I can get it to fit. It uses pushbottons on the top for settings instead of rotary dials or pills like MSD does. Wondering if it will fit in a box and then I can just make adjustments through the tissue opening. :cool:

If not I'll just put keep it in the glove box.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Jason, I added the Ebay link for the retro tach to my previous post. I did read that some multi spark ignition systems need an inexpensive filter. I have the Pertronix II ignition system and my tachs have always worked fine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That is a very nice looking tach and sending unit Leo. Identical to the one that came in my '62. I think they really add to the interior. Sent mine out last week to Williamsons for the upgrade which eliminates the batteries. Can' wait to get it back and installed, Carmine.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I had issues with tachs with Pertronics, just got a filter and that fixed it right up. Filter was about 25 cents.

Don

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Biding on this transmitter box is fast and furious!!! Up to $33 already. http://www.ebay.com/itm/30144241923...ewitem=&sspagename=ADME:B:WNA:US:3160&vxp=mtr

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Might have to get that old black box from the garage attic and fake my '60 now Leo. I've used the retro tach for about 4 years and had thought about mounting the box, but didn't know if that would be like "cheating". You may have convinced me it's ok.

Lonnie