Richmond 5 speed in a 60 Impala

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Does anyone here know if body mods are necessary to put one in a 60? I read that the shifter is about 2-3 inches further back.

Last edited:

63 dream'n

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I’m sure Paul will chime in on this real quick..... and I’m sure if you do a search you’ll find the answer......I’m pretty sure that’s what he has behind his stroker motor
Paul’s ride is a 62..........

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
my comments in the above link still apply. No real floor modification needed......Move the tunnel cover back - you are done....

Richmond 5 speed 1 to 1 in 5th gear I thought moves the shifter only - that is not true( it stays at the factory location with a Hurst 5 speed shifter). Just remounted my shifter with new clutch, new bell housing and updated Richmond 5 speed by Lindsey’s Ring & Pinion.
I also have a Richmond 5 speed in my 62 SS 409 convertible - just starting to drive it after a 6 year frame off restoration

The Richmond 5 speed 1:1 in my 62 Impala SS 409 convertible & my 62 SS 409 Hardtop (with 3:08 posi 2800 rpm at 70) and the Richmond 5 speed and 6 speed overdrive transmissions are the same length transmission as Borg Warner and Muncie 4 speeds. The Long 5 speed shifter is back 2 & 1/2 inches from factory and “will fit a bench seat”. I have pictures of a 61 & 62 Bench seat Belairs one 409 one 348 with RIchmond 6 speeds with overdrive and they fit..... No floor modifications to the tunnel ( like TKO and Tremec requires..... I do not need these transmissions)

I just updated my Richmond 5 speed in my 62 impala 500 HP striker motor shifts as good or even better than my Muncie 4 speeds and the shifter fits my factory SS shift plate.

I have 3 Richmond 5 speed transmissions - 2 in my 62’s.
Best decision ever made vs a TKO or Tremec Transmission

Paul

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks your reply.
@ Paul, I read your prior posts including the piece above. Since the OD Super Street model is the only version still in production it would be my choice transmission should I decide to go after this, is this model any larger or are you aware of any issues in it's installation in to a 60?

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
The transmission lengths and shifter locations are:

Borg Warner 4 speed and Muncie 4 speed - 21.5 inches (transmission length) Hurst shifter location = 17.5 inches
Richmond 5 speed (1:1 in 5th 3.27 low) - 21.57 inches (transmission length) Hurst shifter location = 20.0 inches
Richmond 6 speed (or 5 speed ) overdrive in 5th or 6th - 21.75 inches (transmission length ) Long 5 or 6 speed shifter location = 20.75 inches
Tremec TKO 6 speed - 24 to 27 inches transmission length - shifter location = 19.5 inches

A few comments on x frame cars - top of Tremectransmission case requires complete removal of the entire tunnel from the firewall to front of a bench seat and raising it up to 2 inches. The overlength of the Tremec - almost 3 inches longer -either eliminates the parking brake or requires major modification. this does not even consider how close the driveshaft yoke is to the front of the X frame

I suggest if not using one the factory tunnel cover for 61 to 63 or the 60 4 speed tunnel cover. They help the shifter boot mounting and help the fit of the shifter used.
Just move the tunnel cover back to fit the shifter location

61-63 factory tunnel cover
https://show-cars.com/product/4345
60 Chevy 4 speed tunnel cover
https://show-cars.com/product/4344

• See the attached picture(1st Picture) of a 6 speed in a 62 Impala -first picture note how the tunnel cover fits around the 6 speed Long Shifter
  • 2nd & 3rd pictures -5 speed in a 62 Chevy bubble top (This 409 bubble top was changed to 6 speed(and sold) and I bought the 5 speed from this 62 Chevy bubble top) -the point is that the shifter for a 6 speed only moves back 3/4 to 1 inch for a 6 speed transmission note the clearance from the bench seat
  • 3rd & 4th picture - 5 speed with Hurst 5 speed shifter in my 62 SS 409 convertible (shifter moves back 3/4 to 1 inch for 6 speed )
Paul
20180418_122824.jpg 62 Bubble top 017.jpg DSCN6690.JPG P1040772_tn.jpg P1040771_tn.jpg

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I would highly recommend SST's Tremec kits. They are complete. I put a TKO 600 .64 OD 5th in my '61 Vette this past spring. The only modification I had to do was cut the bottom of the fiberglass ashtray cup off. Shifter comes up where it should. Great people to deal with.
Here is a link to a kit for B bodies. They modify the trans to have shifters come up in factory location.
https://shiftsst.com/blog/post/gm-b-body-1958-1970.html

Last edited: