Riddle: $30=$29????

doc396

Well Known Member
this takes place back in th 1940's. 3 guys go to hotel, they want a room for the weekend. the manager say's it will be $30. each man chips in a $10 dollar bill. later he has second thoughts and decides to charge them less. he gives the bellhop 5 one dollar bills and says give them a refund of 5 dollars. on the way up the stairs the bellhop decides to keep 2 dollars as a tip, and give each man one dollar back. ok... that means each man paid $9 dollars, the bellhop kept $2 dollars. 3x$9=$27 plus the $2 dollars for the bellhop equals $29 right????? DOC :brow

JC327

Supporting Member 1
It doesn't make sense to add what the men paid to what the bellhop received. The men paid $27 (9+9+9) and the hotel employees received $27 (25+2).

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
$30.00 paid refund of $5.00 = $25.00 Bellhop takes $2.00 leaving $3.00 to be given back.

$25.00 +$3.00 +$2.00 = $30.00

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
doc396 said:
each man paid $9 ($10 with $1 refund) 3x$9=$27+$2 to bellhop=$29 :?

I already gave the answer, and you're still confused.
Forget that each man paid with a $10.00 bill.

The hotel wanted $30.00 for a room.
the hotel decided to give back $5.00

$30.00 minus $5.00 = $25.00, ........... ok are you still with me?

$5.00 minus the $2.00 the bellboy took = $3.00

The three dollars is given back to the men.

So $25.00 + $3.00 + $2.00 = $30.00

quit confusing yourself.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
riddle

Doc, I have seen that one b4. It is a good one.

As a side, I remember one like that in movies MANY years, ago.

Loan me twenty, but only give me ten of it. Therefor, you still owe me ten, and I owe you ten, so we are even.

Where did that one come from??????????????

Tell me, and I'll tell you if you are right. You will have to be old to remember it!

Fred

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
SS425HP said:
Loan me twenty, but only give me ten of it. Therefor, you still owe me ten, and I owe you ten, so we are even.

Where did that one come from??????????????

Tell me, and I'll tell you if you are right. You will have to be old to remember it!

Fred

i'm gonna take a guess fred, abbott and costello in the movie Buck privates?

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Riddle

Bob, you are right on.
Those guys were good, and NUTS. Have always liked them. They took a hard hit from our government in the 50s, on income tax junk.
Costello was involved in the design and manufacturing of the water cooler you see in schools and office buildings. He was a smart man. Well, they both were.

They are still funny, today. At least to me!!!!