Ride height question

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So on to better topics.......
I redone everything on my 64 Impala during my build, meaning all new suspension, ball joints, body mounts EVERYTHING new.
I wanted the look of a slanted muscle car when finished. So stock everything was used, original spindles, went to 15" wheels.

I did convert my springs to 409 springs in the front and rear, the ass end sits nice and the front end is just a little higher than I would like.

The car is all but done and, the only question I do not know the answer to so far is the front new shocks, I notices they are installed but the nut has never been tightened up on them, meaning you can clearly see the nut at the top of the threads, with plenty of room to tighten them.

(1) do you tighten them nuts to the point they will not turn anymore, and will that pull the front end down a bit?

or is there a preload or a set point where you stop? I guess I am not sure of the procedure, I know they will need to be tightened.

(2) These are brand new 409 rated springs, I was told to use them for the additional weight of the motor from the original 327 motor. So I have heard guys talk of cutting them down, but I do not really want to do that, so is there other adjustment options to lower the front end, to give it the slant style look I am after?

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I should mention every piece is brand new including 4 brand new shocks , all suspension front/rear new.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Factory style front shocks are tightened to so there are no remaining threads to tighten against the metal upper shock mount under the frame. what brand and type of shocks do you have? My 62 front shocks do not have rubber cushions

Junky

Well Known Member
Took this from the 1961 Chevrolet shop manual. The front shocks on a X frame car are like non other. There is no rubber gromet at the top of the A arm, like there is on most other cars. I took a photograph of the instructions for you. If you are using gas shocks, then they will tend to lift the front end more so than the old fluid filled shocks. A fluid filled shock will give you a better ride than the gas filled shocks, in my opinion.

MVC-014L.JPG

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
post some pictures of that 409 hot rod :drinkingI did the same with the red 62 my avatar, the rear raised and the front end dropped some.

mine were Monroe tighten all the way down there was probably a inch of thread above the nut.