Ring Compressor

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mine 2 cut fingers where because I didn't use a ring installation tool and accidentally put the number 2 compression ring upside down and had to swap them. Buying a new installer today but putting the rings in the cylinders are super easy. I used to wear gloves as I don't like oily hands but impossible to do with gloves so I suck it up and use no gloves.

tenxal

Well Known Member
Stop by your local auto body/glass supply place and pick up a couple of phenolic 'windshield sticks'. Lay it flat on the deck and use the beveled edge to push the ring in the groove. Makes life soooo much easier. ;)

iXhYkyhl.jpg

fourzeronine

Well Known Member
I installed 8 pistons (a couple of them more than once) last week without any tools. No blood was drawn. Maybe it helped the counterbore at the top of the cylinder was basically gone due to the overbore.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Stop by your local auto body/glass supply place and pick up a couple of phenolic 'windshield sticks'. Lay it flat on the deck and use the beveled edge to push the ring in the groove. Makes life soooo much easier. ;)

iXhYkyhl.jpg
About the same thing I use. I picked up a couple sets of plastic pry / trim tools from Harbor Freight, a blue set and a yellow set. The black ones are too flimsy.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I used those plastic trim tools too and worked great. Don’t have to worry about damage. My block is a double notch though and the pistons almost slid In by them selves because I could use the notches with the tool