Rochester carb adjustment and heat problem

chevy58guy

Supporting Member 1
Hello All:
Just started my fresh 348, conservative .30 over and 3 rochester deuces. Can anyone help me with carb adjustment? Carbs have been rebuilt. Also numbe 8 cylinder is running about 80-90' hotter than the rest any ideas?:dunno
I appreciate any help Thanks Joe

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Joe, if the carbs have been rebuilt correctly and you don't have a big cam in that engine, you should be able to adjust the center carb mixture screws out about 1-1/4 turns. if it has a big cam in it, you may have to modify the idle circuit in the center carb to get it to idle. your high temp. on #8 cyl. is most likely an air leak at that port. if you are using a vacuum advance dist. and picking up the vacuum from the stock location at the right rear carb hold down stud on the back carb, you may have a leak there ( maybe a bad dist. vacuum can). good luck.

chevy58guy

Supporting Member 1
Thanks Gearhead ...good info.. stock cam/ msd dist and 8.5 msd wires now that i read your suggestion, i'm right now pulling vacuum to the msd dist from what appears to be a secondary on the middle carb under the fuel inlet. Is this the right place? also the right rear carb mounting stud is a stud that is sealed and tight--i would think that that would be primary vacuum or am i mistaken? :dunno
Going back to #8--i must have pre-oiled this motor 25 times at least and i played with pre-adjusting the valves as best as i could--is it possible #8 pumped up more
and is tight? I will check this again anyway as a matter of course but need some re-assurance that this may be one of the causes of the heat. The motor has run now
about 10 min--t-stat not open yet..shut down...will think about this:coffee: Joe

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Joe, with your set up it would be better to pull full time vacuum at the dist. a good place to pick it up would be the hollow carb mounting stud. i have to ask, are you using orginal tri-power carbs? if not it will be hard to get a good idle and may be your temp. problem at #8 cyl. yes, out of adjustment valves would cause a temp. change ( especially if the exhaust valve is not fully closing)

chevy58guy

Supporting Member 1
Thanks again Gearhead--I think I'm using the stock setup..but I'll doublecheck and get back---GoodLookin out!:cheers