Rock auto is pissing me off!

bobs409

Administrator
I am about throw in the towel with this outfit! :furious

3 things now I have trouble with.

The first was the manual steering box seal that they say fits my year, well it didn't! Wasn't worth sending back as it was only $7 bucks w/ship. Today I get some more parts one of which is a distributor cap. I ordered a Standard brand black cap. It's black in the pictures. They send me a Standard blue streak cap so it's blue!!! Wouldn't that look pretty on a car I'm trying to look factory! :bang (actually same thing happened with the rotor but since no one would see it, it didn't bother me at all)

Now I go to install the plug wires that are also "supposed to fit" my car and find they are too short. About 8-9 inches too short on the longest wires when comparing to my old ones making them unusable as they have to run under and through the motor mount recess and will not reach. Also they have straight boots!!!

So, I contacted them earlier about the cap and I can send it back.... at my expense! They made no mention of reimbursing me for the return shipping and I doubt they would do so.

:mad3

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
Just found their return policy:

Returns
Everything we sell is returnable for full part cost credit within 30 days (except certain special order and discontinued items identified in our catalog as "No Return"). If you're not satisfied with something or you just decide you don't need it, you can obtain return instructions using our Order Status & Returns page or by sending e-mail to service@rockauto.com (in your email, please tell us your order number, the part number and the reason for the return). If a part doesn't fit, don't try to "make it fit" and risk damaging the part or your car (or yourself). We won't accept responsibility for any costs exceeding the cost of the part (and you don't need the aggravation of doing a job twice!) so please inspect the part before you start the repair.

Returns go to different locations, depending on the type of part and the reason for the return. You must send the return to the correct location and include the return instructions in the package to receive credit. Check that the parts are complete and in their original unmarked manufacturer part boxes (cores must be returned in the box the new part came in). Put the part boxes in a shipping box - returns sent in just the manufacturer's packaging may not be refundable if the original box is damaged in shipping. Please don't paint the part, install the part or throw away the box until you're sure the part you have is the part you need! Please do not write on or alter the box in any way. We cannot issue return credit for parts which have been installed, painted, modified or returned without their original packaging.

Shipping charges are not refundable unless the return is due to our mistake. If you decide you don't need a part, we don't mind taking it back but we can't recover the shipping cost. You do have the option of generating a return shipping label for a return from the Order Status & Returns page. The shipping amount will be deducted from your refund. If you refuse delivery or the carrier returns a package because you provided an invalid address, the cost of return shipping will be deducted from your refund.

Refunds typically take up to five business days to be issued. Refunds will be issued in the same form as the original payment (eg, if we received a payment by credit card, then we will issue a refund to that same credit card). Payments excepted from this policy include wire transfers, EFTs (electronic funds transfers), or any other cash payment for which we cannot issue refunds in kind. In these cases, a refund will be issued with a store credit or a U.S./Canadian dollar check. Once a refund has been issued, we send a confirmation by email. Providing us with a return tracking number will ensure a faster refund time. If you entered the return tracking information into the Order Status & Returns page, you do NOT need to email us, as we will already have the tracking information on file.

doc396

Well Known Member
I purposely bought the more expensive fuel pump for my 62 with a 235 6 cyl. because the picture resembled the original. turns out it looked the same as all the cheaper knock off's. No big deal as it a driver, but I would never order anything for my "good cars" from them. just sayin

bobs409

Administrator
I just checked for the heck of it, Summit doesn't pay the return ship either. I thought they did. :scratch

You can send anything back using the return label on the receipt but they deduct the charges from your refund! :bang

:angry:furious:mad2:mad3:mad4:tantrum:splat:cuss:bat

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just find the closest old skool auto parts store near you and buy from there. Period. I have a Car Quest near me that is family run, has paneling on the walls and an old skool machine shop out back. The guys behind the counter have dirty finger nails and smell like ATF, there are Snap on calendars on the walls from the 80s with naked chicks on them and vintage drag racing photos hanging all over the place. Its heaven!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Okay Bob,Show Cars lists a set of AC Delco wires for 283-327[58-64] part number 3255 for 46.20 in mt 2013 catalog .Dist cap.,pn.3382[black w/copper inserts,40.50,or pn 8229,black with aluminum inserts[poor choice,but an option] for 14.50. Now quit your bitchen and order the right stuff from someone who knows the cars.:deal

bobs409

Administrator
Well I thought Summit was a respectable knowledgeable outfit. Never realized how "on my own" I was by ordering there.

Just for fun, what is show cars return policy? :D

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
About the same as everyone else.Will not pay for shipping,no return on electrical parts,or special orders.

bobs409

Administrator
Well I think if a business says something will fit, it ought to fit! They should pay for their mistakes, not me.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Just find the closest old skool auto parts store near you and buy from there. Period. I have a Car Quest near me that is family run, has paneling on the walls and an old skool machine shop out back. The guys behind the counter have dirty finger nails and smell like ATF, there are Snap on calendars on the walls from the 80s with naked chicks on them and vintage drag racing photos hanging all over the place. Its heaven!
Naked all the way????:crazy:crazy:crazy

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Bob

I just returned two parts that I ordered from Rock Auto, I can't blame them since everyone shows the same part as correct. Under FAQ there are steps to return parts, unfortunately not very clear so I talked to them on the phone and put in the information. I received a return shipping label and was told they would give a full refund, which included shipping?

I will see what happens.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Rockauto always sends me a FedEx label via email, they pay for it. You have to bitch to them at first.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We have a similar parts store here with old wood floors stained with oil and grease and bar stools at the parts counter that is really good about getting the right parts and if you have an issue they take the part back with basically no questions asked. PLUS they still give out bikini girl calendars!:brow

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Recently, I bought a water pump from Rock Auto that they advertise as fitting a 348-409. I should have looked closer at the pic but I didn't. When it arrived, I knew right away it wasn't the correct one. Sent them an email advising them they advertised this item wrong. They were real good about it. Acknowledged it was their fault. Sent me a return label and will credit my card with a full refund. I have bought a lot of parts from Rock Auto and really never had a problem. Whatever they sell, I make sure its a brand I've heard of before. Many times, I buy from other vendors who specialize in 348-409 parts. I know of no vendors who pay for return shipping when you no longer want the part. Now, part not as advertised, part not fitting properly, broken part, etc., all a different story. The vendor should pay return shipping, Carmine.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sounds like the right place Jeff! I will try and snap a few pics of the parts store I go to and post here for you guys to see. They might not like me taking photos of people/customers and their store but I'll ask.

EDIT: they have pics on their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Buy-Right-Auto-Parts/151057535012162?sk=photos_stream

5forid.jpg

Last edited:

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sounds like the right place Jeff! I will try and snap a few pics of the parts store I go to and post here for you guys to see. They might not like me taking photos of people/customers and their store but I'll ask.

EDIT: they have pics on their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Buy-Right-Auto-Parts/151057535012162?sk=photos_stream

5forid.jpg
Jason, that looks a lot like my hometown parts store that I've been going to since I got my first car... Pictures of customers cars and everything!!! It was a little mom 'n pop place until the owner just decided to retire and sold out to Car Parts Warehouse in December...,the employees all stayed, time will tell I guess how they are..

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I use my local NAPA; The guys are all in their sixties; a couple retired wrenches and all are gearheads. Pictures of all their rides hanging up. Awesome place.