Rock n Race 2019 348/409 class

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
What a great weekend to catch up on personal connections and see some fine 409 racing!

The comraderie was excellent, the venue was excellent, the track was awesome (seeing how the last time I was at Dragway42 it had four lanes, a flag starter and went in the other direction :)), and the weather complied. It just doesn't get much better!

Hardly anyone broke (somehow Shan managed to snap an Inland Empire driveshaft connect) with the exception of the well chronicled "Phast Phil" episode :). I hope someone follows up with an update on Dave Coots, who took a tumble Saturday night.

I picked up a few extra parts (thanks to Rick and to Barry Taylor, please don't tell my wife) and had a great time even though James and Tooth and I were "spectating". James fixed enough cars to keep things running smoothly throughout the course of the weekend :). Thanks again to Loreen and the ladies for some fine outdoor dining (the ribs were awesome, I hope I threw enough cash in the box to cover some expenses). And thanks to Mark Steele for the awesome Tshirts :).

Surely the most embarrassing part for me was to have the BA409 car on the Tshirts Mark made but not at the event. We will make the effort to get her safer to run and will be there next year with something on a trailer :).

One picture I'd like to have is of Russ Campbell, Phil Reed and I pushing Pat's car back on the trailer Saturday night. Three old(er) guys, one with titanium parts in his knees and hip (me), average age over 70, and here we are pushing a priceless Z-11 up the ramp. Thank God Dennis Jackson stepped in to make it up the final leg and safely into the trailer :). I hope Phast Phil located that welder to repair the hinges on that trailer. If it came open near Columbia, MO on the return ride, I'd be glad to offer a long term safe place for it :) :) :).

Cheers! TomK

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Mr. Tommy........here's is what the repaired hinges look like.
20190825_170003.jpg
It's the center part of the hinge that broke. Probably started with one and then finally all. The welder, Mike, said the factory didn't have enough amperage to burn into the lip of the lower door frame.
Big cudoes to Mr. Fugate who finally found a friend in the area who would come out on Sunday!!!!!! Mike was a life saver!!!!
Oh Pat......Mike is a 409 guy too. I paid him cash but the other, more important request, he wanted to sit in the driver's seat!!! Mission accomplished!!!!!
20190825_170003.jpg20190825_170749.jpg

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
Great weekend ,great folks, great weather. and great cars. What more could you ask for. I took videos and gave the v-card to Loreen ( I hope she didn't lose it. I gave it to early, the girls were on their second bottle of whatever:dunno to post on the site}. Lord knows I can't do it .We'll have to wait and see what I got. Hope everyone got home safely. Thanks to Bryan for getting this whole thing going. 4 Z-11 cars together at one time;). That may not have happened since the 60's.
Thanks to all, Gordie:cool:

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Made it home safe, the only white knuckle ride was the 20 mile home from my shop in the downpour.
Can't thank Tooth enough for talking me into going and providing the chauffeur service.
Would also like to thank Russ for the opportunity the wheel the Jackshaw car around the pits, it was an honor. Sure wish I could of gotten a better handle on that primary carburetor for you. Would love to come down when you get it home and ready to take another stab at it.
It was great to meet up with the gang again, you guys are the best. :salute
And have to say sorry to the guys that didn't make it as I had video and camera equipment with me and failed to even take them out of the bag. :doh

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Great weekend ,great folks, great weather. and great cars. What more could you ask for. I took videos and gave the v-card to Loreen ( I hope she didn't lose it. I gave it to early, the girls were on their second bottle of whatever:dunno to post on the site}. Lord knows I can't do it .We'll have to wait and see what I got. Hope everyone got home safely. Thanks to Bryan for getting this whole thing going. 4 Z-11 cars together at one time;). That may not have happened since the 60's.
Thanks to all, Gordie:cool:
Gordy you forgot to tell your story about you and bobs trip down the quarter mile

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just like to tell everyone Thanks for a good time, no disappointments here! I was glad James brought his little red toolbox and came along with me, I hope Coots is okay I haven't heard anything and I was a little worried about him. I think Coots and Ray should have their own radio show! Of course it would have to be on satellite radio, not for children or the light-hearted.:confused
I had a wonderful time got to meet some wonderful people wonderful food wonderful weather I don't think there's anything else you could have asked for except to have your own hot rod there ready to run.... (maybe next year):pray:pray:pray
I'm thankful that my buddy James had pointed me in the direction of this website and the wonderful people that are on it. And yes I'm also thankful for Tom too even though this seems to be costing me a lot of money!
it was fun sitting talking to Don Jacks, Ed Anderson who originally bought the Jack Shaw z11, Russ, Pat, and I guess Phil :wackotoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe next time I come up I can remember to bring my generator and TIG welder:dunno and I would like to thank Ricky and the LADIES four wonderful meals and for kindness and thinking about others. Brian you done a heck of a job setting this up and you keep killing the tree! Here are a few videos and I will download some more off my phone later. Thanks everyone for making a Unforgettable weekend for me! . THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: