Rock n Race 2019 348/409 class

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Mr. Tommy........here's is what the repaired hinges look like.
View attachment 74017
It's the center part of the hinge that broke. Probably started with one and then finally all. The welder, Mike, said the factory didn't have enough amperage to burn into the lip of the lower door frame.
Big cudoes to Mr. Fugate who finally found a friend in the area who would come out on Sunday!!!!!! Mike was a life saver!!!!
Oh Pat......Mike is a 409 guy too. I paid him cash but the other, more important request, he wanted to sit in the driver's seat!!! Mission accomplished!!!!!
View attachment 74017View attachment 74018
A little story on Mike Lester his father helped me build my first 409 stroker in 1994 I was 21 and mike was 10 I believe. His dad has since passed on but he was a great racer and a die hard 348/409 guy.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
A little story on Mike Lester his father helped me build my first 409 stroker in 1994 I was 21 and mike was 10 I believe. His dad has since passed on but he was a great racer and a die hard 348/409 guy.

Brian, can’t thank you enough for “coming to the rescue”!!
Please thank Mike for me, would have loved to have known his Dad!

Pat

de31168

Well Known Member
We had a great time getting to see all the beautiful cars and friendly faces. Many thanks to all for a great weekend and great food and congrats again to Valerie on your big win! Here's a link to a gallery of specifically our cars that my girlfriend took over the 3 days. 348-409 Shootout.

Also a special thank you to Tom Geib for selling me some hot fuel that allowed me to make my best run of the weekend in the finals, right when I didn't need it. :D:doh

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I would like to give a special shout-out thank you to Russ, had an unforgettable time sitting in his trailer for several hours talking with Ed Anderson. I don't know all the history of the JackShaw z11 but I'm learning man is it been a heck of a ride! I had talked to Russ before he brought the car to the track and he was expecting the z11 correct police pay him a visit. And that's expected and that is where perfection can be identified. I remember Ed asking Russ, I see you put windshield wipers in a wiper motor on it? Rush replied because of this early picture that's why I done it, and show Ed the picture and he laughed and said " that's good because I never took them off either" and started chuckling. And I'd mention to Russ that the car was beautiful and probably never look that good even when it was new. Ed was sitting there and looked at the car and said man I never thought a situation like this would have ever happened and man that car looks way better than when I bought it brand new!:laughing The story that I like the most from Ed and Mike we're about some of the mishaps and some of the things that had to happen to make that car exist. Mike was sitting next to me on my left and told me that all the parts for the z11 came in boxes on pallets and he had to install all of them. and Don Nicholson was a friend of Ed's and Mike's and he had just dynoed a all new z-11 engine at his shop. they took the car down to Dyno Don to put the engine in it and put it on a two axle trailer behind their truck and headed out to the races. After a little while Mike was looking out his window and noticed a tire passing them and it wasn't hooked to anything:doh he said a few seconds later the trailer whipped right and left and then hit a railroad concrete sign. it's smashed the trailer and push the car up into the back of the truck. They took the truck and the trailer to a local guy who had a welding shop and made the two axle trailer into a single axle trailer. When they started negotiating the price with the man who owned a welding shop he pulled a gun on them.Mike said he guess he wasn't up for negotiating and wanted his money! Don jumped in and just paid the guy and they were off. What a wonderful story and who would have ever known that anything like that happened except for these guys. So glad they shared so many stories with us and thank you RUSS for your passion for these cars to make it possible for a wonderful man like Ed to relive a dream! I remember the story well but you'll have to ask Russ about the 61 409 car that Ed KIMG1018.jpgbought brand new and was making payments on it and what happened. I think it was one of a hundred and forty something cars built in 1961. (142)? Thanks to all who made such a great and wonderful weekend for so many! Can we do it again next weekend?
Mike told me that Ed is 82 now and here is a picture of him, Mike is his running buddy and is an unbelievably humble nice guy himself.
20190823_094113.jpg620190823_133850.jpg

Last edited:

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Congratulations to Jim & Valerie McCombs for their win of the 409 Shootout on Sunday, and Dave Westlowski taking the runner up. Also congrats to Barry Taylor for winning Saturday nights fastest 409 Heads Up race. I would also like to thank Loreen Ingram for the cook out she did for all the 409 group, Phil Reed, Russ Campbell, Pat Lobb, Dennis Jackson, and everyone involved in getting those Z-11 cars there for all to see. Especially want to thank my buddy Bryan Fugate for all his hard work organizing this event , I don' t know how he got through the pain. Scott Hall for the presentation, and then Fatride Ray Barnhart and Bob Walla for hanging with me. Wishing for a speedy recovery for Crusher Dave Coots , get well Dave. Oh yea, also a thanks to Bo Martin, and Brian Lambert for "loaning Bob and me their golf carts at nite, hehe.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I had a wonderful time while there.I got to see a lot of old friends and meet guys like Pat Loeb,Carl McQuillian and his son,Russ Cambell and of course,TOOTH.I especially loved the weather,but the trip back was a bitch with rain which varied from just wet to a couple of out and out storms from just N.of Columbus,Oh. ALL the way to just south of Louisville,KY.[The sun actually came out in Bowling Green :dunno2] and then it was wet again.The "rolling storage shed" made the trip good,it's owner,not so much.:ok

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Look what I found in the trailer under the engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!
20190827_094454.jpg20190827_094549.jpg

This is the center of the timing cover in front of the camshaft. Got a flashlight and looked between the cover and back of water pump. Passenger side has a small gap between but driver's side is pushed up against the back of the water pump.
Pat...I have an old cast iron water pump and a used 348 timing cover I can throw in for Al if you want. No timing chain tho!!!!!
Al will be here in about an hour. Guess they wanted to get the car away from me before anything else happens!!!!!