Rockaway Beach

RussC

Well Known Member
Rockaway Beach was (is) the original travel destination on Lake Taneycomo...north of Branson. Developed in the first half of the twentieth century. It was popular throughout the US. During the sixties it was popular for its rock band concerts....and then the Hells Angels biker riot

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Left Chillicothe Mo. on August 18, 1972 on honeymoon headed for Rockaway Beach. Made it to Springfield Mo. to stop for the night to replace my fuel pump no stores were open. Came back on Sunday and broke down on 65 south of Springfield somewhere. I Noticed something out of the corner of my eye flying through the air from the right side of the car. When I got stopped I had broken 3 studs off the rear axle. We walked to a farmhouse with no one home walked to the next one down the road ( it was close to 100 degrees). They called a wrecker for me and he found studs for me somewhere which was a miracle because nothing was open back in those days. I had bought 2 new “mags” that Friday of our wedding and I didn’t know to torq them down again after some miles. It was a rocky start to our marriage I didn’t mention that my wife wasn’t feeling well most of Saturday and Sunday found out she had strep throat. We went back about 5 years later and got to enjoy the beautiful lake!

Attachments

• 239885EB-0E92-47B2-8B68-A6A8629D26F8.jpeg
    239885EB-0E92-47B2-8B68-A6A8629D26F8.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 57

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Left Chillicothe Mo. on August 18, 1972 on honeymoon headed for Rockaway Beach. Made it to Springfield Mo. to stop for the night to replace my fuel pump no stores were open. Came back on Sunday and broke down on 65 south of Springfield somewhere. I Noticed something out of the corner of my eye flying through the air from the right side of the car. When I got stopped I had broken 3 studs off the rear axle. We walked to a farmhouse with no one home walked to the next one down the road ( it was close to 100 degrees). They called a wrecker for me and he found studs for me somewhere which was a miracle because nothing was open back in those days. I had bought 2 new “mags” that Friday of our wedding and I didn’t know to torq them down again after some miles. It was a rocky start to our marriage I didn’t mention that my wife wasn’t feeling well most of Saturday and Sunday found out she had strep throat. We went back about 5 years later and got to enjoy the beautiful lake!

COOL PIC...HOT CHIC:guitar:guitar

We got hitched in January. 1972 also.

Last edited:

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1

Really cool pic !

wristpin

Well Known Member
Pretty bold move carrying a purse in this group!!
What engine and trans in car?

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It was the style back in those days lol, but actually I don’t think she wanted me to see what she had in the bag in her other hand! Drive train at this time was a 65 327/300 HB suffix, 4 speed Muncie, not sure what rear gear at that time, maybe 355. Had a set of hookers and my favorite mufflers Thrush. Had a good carter carb on it, but it was bone stock. Before that I did have an awesome 63 327/360 out of a vette with much work done, huge Isky, Wiend, 3 bbl. 950 Holley, 12.5 TRW. I took that motor out for a rod noise and planned on tearing it down, but the local mid nite auto parts guys relieved me of it. That deal still makes me mad.

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Also had complete interior minus console from a 64 SS ,looked good. I would tell folks the 61 was a rare SS, funny thing is I didn’t know that there was a 61 SS at the time. Always though 62 first offering.