Rocker adjustment, slight noise

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I got everything fired up and exhaust is on, so NOW I can really hear the engine for the first time, she sounds great except a slight Rocker/lifter noise.

I spoke to Don on the phone yesterday and he explained AGAIN the correct way I should (or should have) adjusted these.

It is really not much different than a small block, same firing order in my case.

Now I done this adjustment last year during the build portion of the build, this would have been the time to really get this right, where I could see down in the lifter/intake area, well I clearly missed something, so now I am going to go back through them this winter while in the heated garage (Yes Shop is finally cleaned to get the car in there)

I do not want to take the intake off, and tear it back down, to visually watch the lifters, everything is sealed and mounted with no leaks so I wont.

The noise is very slight, and its not enough to warrant that type of back tracking, but its enough to bug me, so I will follow the procedure again to dial them in.

I have done this before, the messy way, adjust them while running, but I am going to try it the cleaner way, so I do not get oil all over everything.

The fun of a boy with his toys, and a anal guy like me who don't want to explain to everyone what that slight noise is, I don't think in my mind, I can justify a rebuilt engine I completed (With Dons help, he explained it well, I just did not do something well, lol) I should mention these are hydraulic lifters, not solids.

I think even though I only hear the slight noise on the passenger side, it warrants going through every single lifter/adjustment again, hell I might have some to tight, past the zero lash point, the learning curve is no fun, but is very much necessary. This motor (don't laugh big HSP guys) sounds strong and sounds good, so I did do something right, lol.

I told Don I would just follow the procedure and probably not post about it, but hey, if my screw up can help someone else, I should post it, because this site is excellent for helping guys like me make proper corrections and get it right, so with egg on my face (not the first time) I'll move forward.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
On Chevy small blocks with hydraulic lifters (don't know if W's are different) I pull one valve cover and with it running at idle with shop bath towels on the inner fenders and rolled on top of the exhaust manifolds close up against the heads, I loosen one rocker arm nut until it clacks, tighten it until it stops, and then go about 1/2 turn. Move quickly to the next. I do the run twice. Shut it down and pick up the towels. I get very little mess if any. Re-install valve cover. Total time on one side doing adjustments - maybe a minute and a half. Move to the other side and if exhaust manifolds aren't too warm, do it again. If they are, have a cup of coffee or a beer and do the other side.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
its very nice out today, but I took today to get my snow broom and plow set up for the winter and organize, now that the shops clean I can fool with the lifter when its 40 below, heat in the shop is a good thing lol. I have learned a lot from my mistakes, the biggest fool is the guy who is never wrong, in my book.

I hear ya Don , thanks for all the help.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
On Chevy small blocks with hydraulic lifters (don't know if W's are different) I pull one valve cover and with it running at idle with shop bath towels on the inner fenders and rolled on top of the exhaust manifolds close up against the heads, I loosen one rocker arm nut until it clacks, tighten it until it stops, and then go about 1/2 turn. Move quickly to the next. I do the run twice. Shut it down and pick up the towels. I get very little mess if any. Re-install valve cover. Total time on one side doing adjustments - maybe a minute and a half. Move to the other side and if exhaust manifolds aren't too warm, do it again. If they are, have a cup of coffee or a beer and do the other side.
You can adjust most Genuine Chev.engines the same way,although on my personal engines I use 1/8-1/4 turn from zero.I don't mind going over them a couple of times per year if needed.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You can adjust most Genuine Chev.engines the same way,although on my personal engines I use 1/8-1/4 turn from zero.I don't mind going over them a couple of times per year if needed.

I just came back in from outside working all day, I was filling a trailer full of stuff I am taking to the dump, and I seen a length of hose about 6' long, and I remembered we used to hold one end to our ear and go over the engine listening for noises when I was younger, and I did find 3-4 spots around the headers at the heads that are definitely leaking, 2 spots down at the collectors, I am going to start there first, and work outward, but I am going to eliminate everything simple first, then re-check noises.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
How does a guy acquire so much crap, that he will NEVER use? GET IT GONE, is my new motto, If I haven't used it in 10 years, I do not need to hang on to it, geez, its horrible, I am officially a hoarder.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would like to know how much noise they are actually making. Seems to me, rollers have a little noise when adjusted properly. :dunno If I am wrong, please correct me.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Fix that exhaust first. Then check for noise.A trick for finding the leaks.They'll often show up cold before any metal expansion happens.With a cold engine at fast idle squirt 3[-4 pumps down one side of the carb and look for smoke coming from the leak points.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Fix that exhaust first. Then check for noise.A trick for finding the leaks.They'll often show up cold before any metal expansion happens.With a cold engine at fast idle squirt 3[-4 pumps down one side of the carb and look for smoke coming from the leak points.

Don actually I will try that but I think if my ears are not playing tricks on me, NO NOISE cold, as it warms up then I hear it. I would say there are a few leaks on the exhaust.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Don when you say 3-4 squirts are you referring to oil or gas in the carb, to get the smoke?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Oil or ATF,it will create lots of smoke,kinda like an early "Smoke Machine" that's used for finding leaks in the EVAP system in your 96-later ride.