roger caster

steve sharpe

does anyone remember or know current whereabouts of a '62 bubbletop driven by roger caster. possibly owned earlier by frank sanders . may have been sponsored by friendly chevrolet in dallas. a friend owned it it around 1971 but sold it before i was aware he was going to dump it. thanks, steve

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Mark/Steve, Frank Sanders sold his car to Ken Hare from Ft Worth, that’s his car in this picture.

You can see Kens name on the door. Ken never got it to run like Frank did.

Ken sold it to a guy from outside of Dallas, Pilot Point in about 1964-5. That guy kept it several years also. I ended up with some of Franks spare 62 pre production styled Z-11 parts. Not exactly where the car went later.

Its possible, but I’m not sure it was Roger that had it during that time which would have been about 1966 because he and Grady Bryant were building the 66 Novas, Delmer has the last one.

I do remember Jim Jones had a car like the one you posted with an aluminum front end, he and I spoke many times, but I never asked him if his car had been Franks.

What is interesting is that here in the DFW area there were 3-62’s with aluminum front ends, 2 bubble tops, one white(Dan Dean and Buddy Taylor I think) Franks car and one gold Biscayne. None of them have ever been found since.

Supposedly the aluminum from the gold car had been removed and taken to Jack Williams Chevrolet in Ft Worth to be straightened. I was supposed to get it. When my friend went to get it for me he was told “they threw that junk away” not any good, could not be repaired! My friend thought it actually had been stolen!
Never found any of those parts again.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
does anyone remember or know current whereabouts of a '62 bubbletop driven by roger caster. possibly owned earlier by frank sanders . may have been sponsored by friendly chevrolet in dallas. a friend owned it it around 1971 but sold it before i was aware he was going to dump it. thanks, steve
Steve, who was your friend, I might know him.
Pat

steve sharpe

pat, friends name is terry stevens from grapevine. he bought the car as a roller from rogers little brother about 69' or '70. it was painter with rogers name on door, nat record holder on roof drip rail, and friendly chev on quarters. paint looked like it had been sanded or waxed a bunch. it did have the tin front on it. terry pulled it off and put steel on it to drive on the street. heres the part that will make you want to heave, he put the alum stuff out by his old mans barn and the old man ran over it all with a bush hog!!!!

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
OMG!!!

I must say the ‘62 aluminum was .026 thin compared to ‘63’s at .043.

It is incredibly easy to dent or bend the fenders or hood.

My friend, Charlie Gaines, helped work on Dick Harrell’s Blk 62. He said he would change heads and intake and Dick would yell at him for denting the tops of the fenders. Sometimes you could make a run and comeback and the hood would be rippled!!

So, it’s really sad to hear about that front end and the bush hog. Solves the mystery!!

As to the car, 69-70 would definitely after Roger had campaigned the Novas.
I wonder if that car could have been the one Jim Jones ran for a while??

Is Terry Stevens still around?