Roller rockers and drippers

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I was going to put on my nice shiny dripper valve covers last night.When I pulled the old ones(non dripper)I noticed they used roller rockers when they rebuilt the motor.The new dripper covers I have hit the rockers.In order to keep the motor looking correct,what’s the best way to handle this.I saw that showcars makes 3/8’s spacer and offers a thicker gasket,but I don’t know if that is enough.I also saw that they offer a fake dripper with just the spot welds,but it is a reproduction.
Thanks Rick127D0089-41AD-4355-8159-C24A4D93A1FF.jpeg

Last edited:

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I would go with the show cars fake dripper valve covers most people won’t know that they are a repo part. Not trying to pick it apart but the arp head bolts look less correct than a repo valve cover.
Thanks for that.These are things I don’t know.Im pretty sure I have seen a few sets of original head bolts in my parts stash.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes,Phil has the right idea.Just be sure to coat all head bolt threads with sealer and drain the block of coolant before loosening any of the head bolts.If the engine was built using steel shim gaskets,then I suggest using some of the GM style cooling system sealer pellets as well.

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks for the info Don.What do you recommend for torque on the bolts?
65 ftlbs?

Last edited:

El Rat

Well Known Member
Why in the world would anyone replace ARP head bolts (the generally have hardened washers) with 50 year old GMs and no washers?

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
The goal with the 63 convertible restoration is to have the car as close to how it came from the factory as possible.A piece of automotive history.It isn’t going to be 100% original,but it will be damn close.
Some things simply can’t be found,but my father in law,Phil,and a few others did an amazing job of finding almost every nos part needed for the restoration.I mean who finds an nos gas tank with the gm sticker.
And Phil is right,it won’t be hammered.
Just something to take to the golf course,a few car shows,and passed down thru the generations.

427John

Well Known Member
The goal with the 63 convertible restoration is to have the car as close to how it came from the factory as possible.A piece of automotive history.It isn’t going to be 100% original,but it will be damn close.
Some things simply can’t be found,but my father in law,Phil,and a few others did an amazing job of finding almost every nos part needed for the restoration.I mean who finds an nos gas tank with the gm sticker.
And Phil is right,it won’t be hammered.
Just something to take to the golf course,a few car shows,and passed down thru the generations.
In that case putting stock rockers back on it will solve your dripper clearance problem easy peezy.