Rough Drive Shaft Length

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm trying to plan my budget for a driveshaft and wanting a one piece driveshaft, I want to be sure I don't run into critical speed problems because of length. http://markwilliams.com/driveshafttech.aspx
I'll be running a 4L60 transmission and my rear axle being an independent rear, the center wont' be moving/travelling when the suspension cycles.
Can anyone let me know a rough length of driveshaft to consider?
Thanks!

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Just did mine this winter got it out of an 86 Caprice, cut down o 56.5" along with a new rear u-joint cut/balance $175 .Had to cut some of the tunnel for suspension travel and ease of removal of shaft and tire. Do a search models 916 has a write up of his and I followed it.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just did mine this winter got it out of an 86 Caprice, cut down o 56.5" along with a new rear u-joint cut/balance $175 .Had to cut some of the tunnel for suspension travel and ease of removal of shaft and tire. Do a search models 916 has a write up of his and I followed it.
Thanks for the info. Which transmission are you using? I think that a 4L60 is four inches longer than the original PG.
Thankfully with the IRS I don't have to worry about suspension travel.

Kaycee

Well Known Member
I went with the 700r4/4L60 from a 91 truck, hell your just down the road from me I'm 50 miles N of Cheyenne . I'm curious of your IRS