Route to Thompson

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just thought I would post the route we intend to take to get to the Thompson Event in case any of you would like to join in the convoy.

I plan to leave wednesday morning about 7:00am, pick up Roger in McKinney, TX and Ronnie in Sherman, TX. I'd then like to drive through to Indianapolis the first day and the rest of the way on Thursday. We'll have to see how this works out with the rest area breaks for the wives!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...-88.96468&sspn=12.690186,25.72998&ie=UTF8&z=6

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Brian,
Caution on the I-44 in OK. I got ambushed pulling out of a toll booth (after paying their stupid toll) by a HP cop who saw my out of state plates and decided I needed a lesson. He claimed I illegally crossed out of my lane pulling out of the booth and that my license plate frame illegally obscured the state markings. "You mean the lane markings that are all faded out, not well marked and not on the actual roadway?" I asked. "You mean the part of the license plate that says Arizona, is obscured and you don't know what state the grand canyon is in since it clearly says The Grand Canyon State all over it along with a big saguaro cactus?" I'm sitting in the front seat of his Tahoe as he's lecturing me on safety issues and I tell him that I'm really glad he brought that up and that he should get his windshield replaced since it has a big ugly crack in it from top to bottom. He started mumbling something and gave me a warning ticket.:cuss
:stooges

I'll be going that same route to St Louis, but I will be turning off to go over to Louisville to pick up my 1147 heads before heading on up to Ohio. Not sure what day exactly, probably around the 1st or 2nd. If I see a 62 lowrider with beer cans flying out the windows, I'll join up.
:cool:

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian,
Caution on the I-44 in OK. I got ambushed pulling out of a toll booth (after paying their stupid toll) by a HP cop who saw my out of state plates and decided I needed a lesson. He claimed I illegally crossed out of my lane pulling out of the booth and that my license plate frame illegally obscured the state markings. "You mean the lane markings that are all faded out, not well marked and not on the actual roadway?" I asked. "You mean the part of the license plate that says Arizona, is obscured and you don't know what state the grand canyon is in since it clearly says The Grand Canyon State all over it along with a big saguaro cactus?" I'm sitting in the front seat of his Tahoe as he's lecturing me on safety issues and I tell him that I'm really glad he brought that up and that he should get his windshield replaced since it has a big ugly crack in it from top to bottom. He started mumbling something and gave me a warning ticket.:cuss
:stooges

I'll be going that same route to St Louis, but I will be turning off to go over to Louisville to pick up my 1147 heads before heading on up to Ohio. Not sure what day exactly, probably around the 1st or 2nd. If I see a 62 lowrider with beer cans flying out the windows, I'll join up.
:cool:

Gee Cecil, I just went down and back through there and I didn't have that problem.
Oh... maybe cuz I got O K plates means I'm OK:roll:roll:roll

Ray
PS Thanks for the ride to the museum, seemed a lot shorter than the walk back:roll

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Gee Cecil, I just went down and back through there and I didn't have that problem.
Oh... maybe cuz I got O K plates means I'm OK:roll:roll:roll

Ray
PS Thanks for the ride to the museum, seemed a lot shorter than the walk back:roll

Nah, it's probably because of your good looks and charming personality, Ray.:cool:
I, on the other hand am just a sour old curmudgeon and I probably look like an easy mark to them.:rolleyes:
How was the museum? I'm sure you enjoyed the walk, at least it wasn't hot. You should have called Larry.I'll bet he would have come to pick you up.

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
For anyone looking for good food on the way to Thompson across I-80 in Illinois. I have no interest in these places. Exit 75 (rt251) north to stop light, turn right, first place is old gas station with place called 4 Star Restaurant. 1320 ft. further down the same road is the Pine Cone Restaurant. Both places are very good. If traveling north on I-39 exit 54 (Oglesby), turn right (east) to stop light, Delaney's Family Restaurant is on the left across from Shell gas station. This place has a Buffet. Oh yeah my wife works there so I have some interest there. It is only 5 miles south of I-80 on I-39 (exit 79 A south). Do not go to Flying J at exit 77:nono1:. All three of these places have easy access and parking for those towing trailers. Hope this helps. There is also a Subway and McDonalds at Luv's truck stop at exit 81 on I-80.

Ray

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ray, I saw your truck was still at Bobs, I thought maybe Cecil had taken you to see his stash. Great food, Cecil knows where to eat. Larry

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cecil, Museum was great, met a couple great vets, one was surprised I knew about operation Market Garden (its in the book). Also finally got to get into part of the plane people don't get to go (my Dad's office during missions). I'm not supposed to tell but after telling him how much I wanted to get in there he pulled the keys out of his pocket and let me get in for pictures. I'm sure Larry would have come for me, just didn't pay attention when we drove over there how far it was, :roll

Larry, I seen that stash. WOW, he not fibbin in his signature when he says lots of stuff. I spent too much time at the museum and had to fly when I got back so I could get down the road a ways before my hours ran out. Stupid new regulations count off duty hours towards my 14 allowable work day hours. Seems you both know good places to eat. Lunch was excellent.:bow

Ray