Roy Tyner pic for Real61SS and the rest

Bob Core

Well Known Member
I've been searching up old NASCAR stuff again:

RoyTyner91965Chevy-vi.jpg

Pretty car, if you ask me. Real61, did you wrench on this one back in the day?

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
That's him, the "Wild Indian", some of the cars had "Flying Indian" written on them. I did work for Roy on several occasions but not on that car. He was running Pontiacs when I worked for him. (late sixties) He was a great guy and a good friend. Thanks for posting the picture.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Tommy:
I remember the Pontiacs but don't this car. Did he run most of the circuit with this car. I had forgotten his nickname. Great Picture!!!

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Rstreet,
I remember Roy running the '65 Impala in 1965, in '66 he ran a '66 Impala, probably was the same car just updated the sheet metal. Before that he ran a '64 Impala, it may well have been one of the old '63 factory cars that he bought and the updated metal. That was common, we had a '65 Pontiac that we later changed to a '66 so we could run it one more year. Back then NASCAR allowed you to run them for 3 years, most of the independants would upgrade them if possible.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Yeah Tommy I remember everyone got the most out of the cars until NASCAR went to the one year rule. The old Ford of Wendell's that I had told you about helping was several years old but back then no one had the big sponsors except Petty,Allison, Ralph Moody(who we got parts from) and whoever was driving for K & K at the time. The rest were local "begging" sponsors and I am sure you remember them.
Nothing like the good ole days huh?