RPM's@the Stripe

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
V- gate shifter should be a little guicker than a H- pattern simply because there is virtually no neutral gate between gear changes as compared to the rather large neutral gate of the H- pattern. Ultimately cluchless trans is the quickest as your in the next gear before it backs out of previous gear. Also not clutching on gear changes. Only problem is cost, and fitting into tight floor tunnels.

Last edited:

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Think of it like a tractor. A tractor has a deep gearing. What happens when you open the tractors throttle and you pop the clutch?...the front wheels come off the ground and you better hold to the steering wheel.

We run a 3.06 first gear and 5.83 rear gear. The car is in second before the 60' lite!
This is a really cool discussion thank you Dave:good. Many factors involved, but to put things into perspective and if you don't mind me asking Russ, weight of car, diameter of rear tire, engine cubic inches, shift RPM, peak torque/HP at what RPM and finish line RPM? Oh, and what gear box and shifter?:bow

Last edited:

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Car weighs 3220. Tire rolls out 102". Motor is .060 over 426...NHRA SS legal. Launches at 66-6800. Shifts at 9200. Crosses at 9-9100. We are considering a 6.00 gear which would run us to 94-9500 in the lites The motor in the car is just under 1000hp. I have slept since we dynoed it last... hp peak was around 9000. As I recall torque was right around 900. We ran Liberty 4 spd for years. Car currently has a prototype GF2400 4 sod with a Long shifter.
Our best 60' is 1.24 with the rear tires... probably 1.14. In the heat the car will run 8.50s at 157. Which only puts us in the middle of the field...looks like we will be able to start the season with the new motor.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Car weighs 3220. Tire rolls out 102". Motor is .060 over 426...NHRA SS legal. Launches at 66-6800. Shifts at 9200. Crosses at 9-9100. We are considering a 6.00 gear which would run us to 94-9500 in the lites The motor in the car is just under 1000hp. I have slept since we dynoed it last... hp peak was around 9000. As I recall torque was right around 900. We ran Liberty 4 spd for years. Car currently has a prototype GF2400 4 sod with a Long shifter.
Our best 60' is 1.24 with the rear tires... probably 1.14. In the heat the car will run 8.50s at 157. Which only puts us in the middle of the field...looks like we will be able to start the season with the new motor.
Thank you for sharing that info Russ:clap A whole different league:bowThose Hemi's sure can run man!!!

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Not so different. Like they tell me... doesn't matter who the manufacturer is... all the parts go round and round and up and down!

I'll show my age...we began racing 409s in 1988...doing exactly what everyone is doing now. Had lots of fun. Would still be racing the Belair if pro nostalgia was still around