RPM's@the Stripe

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Do you remember if you changed secondary fuel mixture after taking out air valves?
The jetting remained the same for the 600's Dave. For the cross ram I run tune # 21 in the Edelbrock book with .080 secondaries. I can't remember off hand what my jetting was for the factory 2 x 4 but I think it was a few calibrations leaner than stock I'll dig out my old log book and confirm.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Thanks Ray that is it now that you said it.
I went up on the secondary's and picked up a little.:good
So I am a believer in Ronnie's base jetting :bow:bow:bow
Now I am talking with a 409 now you guys with them big boys will need to adjust.:winner:winner
Maybe use Russ's % formula on how much to increase the jetting. :think

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
For the hand full of times that I have had the honor to talk with him I could tell that there are a few very lucky people to be close with him as a student and a friend.
You would have been blessed to have the opportunity to be good friends with Ronnie.

RIP Ronnie Russell :salute

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Dave, not sure if you already do or not but a shift light is a must imo. I know the old schoolers like Grump, Strink, Dyno Don etc. used to shift gears by "listening" to the engine:beer, but me not being anywhere near as talented use one for the human factor. I found that even though I shifted at 5600, by the time I actually see the light and the car is mechanically shifting gear the actual shift rpm is more like 5800rpm. That's where playback tack's also come in handy.....................................................

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Carl

I'm running the 2 step, line lock, shift light, and playback tach. I've been running a 6200 shift chip and like you say, probably go a little past that ( I'm old) and use a 7000 high limit chip. I also feel these tools are necessary.
Thanks

Last edited: