Rpo 1-po5

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
AKA, the factory chrome wheels for 1963. These have popped up in a few threads from time to time but I'm still not exactly sure about them. I have a booklet that is a copy of some chevrolet literature printed in october 1962 but revised in January 1963. The RPO 1-PO5 wheels are listed as, "Same as regular production except chrome plated; in one size, 14x5.0 J."
So, I'm guessing that these did not have reversed rims. Did the 1963 14x5 wheels have the 4 nubs on the rim? I'm trying to pin this down so I can put a correct set together. What I'm wondering is, can just I get a set of standard 1963, 14x5 wheels, have them chromed, and be correct?
Any help would be great!
Ross

bobs409

Administrator
Fred's the man to ask for sure but I believe he ran dog dish caps on his so I would imagine they have the nubs.

Ok Fred, your turn. :D

M

MK IISS

The 1963 RPO # P05 14 X 5" chrome wheels came with the small hubcaps so they would have had the "nubs". The optional 1963 6" wheel, RPO #P12, ( the wheel many refer to as the "409 wheel") looks better chromed with the small hubcaps because it has a deeper offset. I've been told my many that there was also a 6" chromed factory wheel available but I've never seen Chevrolet printed info on it including the RPO #.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
chromed wheels

They were stock wheels. They were taken apart, plated, and welded back together. Don't remember the option number for the 14 X 6 Jk Chromed wheel. can try to look it up. It was in my manual. Had it on this computer until about 3 weeks ago, then deleted it as there was no more mention of it.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Chrome wheels

This is a part of the page in my assembly manual referring to chrome wheels

Attachments

• Assy Manual.jpg
    Assy Manual.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 78

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Wheels

Gonna try this to see if it comes out better. I'm thinking the P-05 is the 14 X 5 JK in chrome. and the P-12 is the 14 X 6 JK wheel in chrome.

Attachments

• Wheel page.jpg
    Wheel page.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 60

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My brother and I ordered our SS with the P06 option. Too long ago to remember but I don't think sales guy mentioned P12 option. Rims got rusty and when I checked around (including Stockton Wheel in CA) to re-chrome or replicate by chroming stock rims, it was very costly. I went with Cragars. Kind of funny story but our Dad went with us to pick up car at dealer and he asked "where are the hubcaps?" Dad told sales guy we weren't leaving without hubcaps so dealer put a set of dog dish caps in trunk. They never were put on car and were lost over the years. As you know, they're worth alot of $ now.

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ooops; I meant to reply to current chrome wheels thread created by "wrench".