Ruff Running Nova

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hi guys, I have a problem with my grocery getter.:dunnoIt's a 1973 Chevy Nova with a 250 ci six and a glide. When the motor is first started up it runs fine. When the motor gets to normal operating temp it runs like sh**.It seems to have a very bad miss. A complete tuneup was in order and was done.No change in the engine. Still runs crappy when up to operating temp. Replaced carb with a rebuilt from National Carb in Florida. No change.Took a compression check when engine was cold. All cylinders around 150psi and no bleeddown.Did notice when engine starts to run rough the tail pipe makes a sound like a steam engine. Bad Valve or guide or cracked valve seat in the head ? The fast idle solenoid was not working and a N.O.S. one was ordered on e-bay. I am waiting for it to arrive..The puffing sound from the tail pipe has me worried as the car has only 68,000 original miles. I bought the car from the original owner. I thought these 6's were bulletproof. I guess not. Any ideas ? I'd appreciate any help.:scratch:bang:grumble::cry:cuss Thanks Butch

oil4kids

Well Known Member
headgasket, or someone forgot to put anitfreeze in it one year, had a 74 nova 250 6cyl the engine is nearly indistructable

the motor was designed by non other then Dick Keinath aka Myster motor engineer

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Thanks Ronnie ,Mark & Kenny.:clap The plugs were all the same color when I put the second set in last week.:dunnoNo indication of water in any of the cylinders and the rad shows no coolant loss.:dunno The vacuum advance is new as of 2 weeks ago,and seems to be working fine. I am going to try another compression check with the motor at operating temp and see what that says. Thanks again guys, I will keep you posted.:hug:bow:cheers

bigblockwilly

Well Known Member
could be a clogged EGR valve but i dont know if yours is equipped:scratch sounds like somthing plugged in the exhaust if there is no obvous cooling system problems, just a sugestion

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
This has got to be either a bad condenser or bad coil. I have had a condenser go bad and get a bad misfire. When my coil went bad it would only run crappy after the coil got heat soaked. This all happened many years ago but I still recall the details. Good Lock. Leo:doh

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Thanks for your input Willy & Leo. :clapThe EGR valve is not connected it was disconnected long before the symptoms arrived. The complete pollution system was removed 2 years ago.The cars mileage increased dramatically after that. The diaghram moves up and down with my fingers.The Coil was changed with one from a 1971 Chev 350 engine ( In good working order ) The distributor condenser was changed with a new piece with the tuneup. I have seen these go bad in a hurry so I will change it this weekend with another new piece.:mad: Thanks to all you guys. I will keep you posted with my findings. I know that I am looking right at the problem but for the life of me I can't figure it out. I have been getting a lot of brain farts lately.:cry:scratch:cheers

LongIsland63SS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I am going to try another compression check with the motor at operating temp and see what that says. Thanks again guys, I will keep you posted.

Butch:

A leakdown test would be better since you would hear hissing from the exhaust/intake or bubbles from the radiator.

Mike

09Jud

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is the intake manifold part of the cylinder head? those were the worst 6 cyl. chevy ever made. If I remember they cracked all the time and the crack opened up as the engine warmed up.

OldTruckNut

Well Known Member
As was just mentioned, if it has the integrated head they were very prone to internal cracks. If it is the old style with the bolt-on intake, be sure to check the intake/exaust manifold bolts. I have seen them get loose and make the engine run bad when hot. Best of luck.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Old truck, This motor has the separate intake exhaust manifolds. I was thinking along those lines also but when I sprayed the gaskets with starter fluid I got no difference in the idle. I'm thinking the gaskets are not blown.I see not too many things left to check on this one .My wife is Pi****. This is her baby and I am running out of band-aids.:scratch

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Crank it up at night in a dark garage and see if you get a light show. Distributor arcing, crossfiring wires, etc.:scratch

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Did notice when engine starts to run rough the tail pipe makes a sound like a steam engine.
I am wondering if you might have a broken valve spring:dunno With the engine running, have you pulled and replaced spark plug wires one at a time to isolate a cylinder?

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Thanks for the info Ron.:clap That is just one more thing to add to the to do list this weekend. :scratchI will post my findings on Monday I hope. Thanks again to everyone for all the input.:bow:hug:cheers:cheers