running warm and spewing coolant...

ken smith

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a '61 bubbletop with 348 engine....car runs cool on the road (170-175 )...in heavy traffic it will run hotter ( 190-200 ) and when I shut the engine down it spews out the overflow.
Car has the following : 3 core alum.radiator
16 " plastic fan blade on water pump inside the 6 1/2 long shroud
16" electric fan inside the 6 1/2 long shroud
165 thermostat
I'm wondering if having both fans inside the shroud are causing a problem in traffic ?

Any thoughts and/or suggestions? Thanks for your help!

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
What Ray said or just quit putting water in it, sometimes once they reach the level they want to run at they will quit spitting the water out.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Your coolant should be about a 1/2 inch down from the top. Engines tend heat up a little before they cool down when parked. If it expands, it has to go somewhere. Make sure the fans set so the front pushes and latter pulls.

ken smith

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Has a "puke" tank now , but that keeps going dry.....the electric fan is a "puller" mounted inside the shroud just in front of the
mechanical fan. Just wondering if by using this setup I'm causing a problem with air flow ?

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I have a '61 bubbletop with 348 engine....car runs cool on the road (170-175 )...in heavy traffic it will run hotter ( 190-200 ) and when I shut the engine down it spews out the overflow.
Car has the following : 3 core alum.radiator
16 " plastic fan blade on water pump inside the 6 1/2 long shroud
16" electric fan inside the 6 1/2 long shroud
165 thermostat
I'm wondering if having both fans inside the shroud are causing a problem in traffic ?

Any thoughts and/or suggestions? Thanks for your help!
Absolutely have your radiator cap tested with a cap pressure tester. I once had a new cap that was rated at 15# and only held 3#. The coolant puked out a little bit whenever I shut the motor down. Also, my coolant level settles in at about 1/2" above the cores. The electric fan may not be necessary if you have the right shroud and maybe a good fan with the proper blade dept into the shroud. Leo

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Has a "puke" tank now , but that keeps going dry.....the electric fan is a "puller" mounted inside the shroud just in front of the
mechanical fan. Just wondering if by using this setup I'm causing a problem with air flow ?
You have a coolant recovery tank and it keeps going dry? Where is it going? Any sign of coolant in the engine, like at the bottom of your oil fill cap? Milky white? Or any coolant on the garage floor?

ken smith

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well , thanks to you guys one problem solved. I was filling the radiator to the top and also added about 1/2 pint to the overflow bottle. Now the level is about 1/2 " down in the radiator and still have about a 1/2 pint in the bottle. I think this will stop the "pewking".....now if I can increase the air flow thru the radiator at low/idle speeds......

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
you can lower temps a bit more with Purple Ice from Royal purple. out performs redline water wetter

Quik9r

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
yea you don't fill it to the top. Leave it about 3/4" down from the top. Run mostly water with a little coolant for the water pump and some water wetter or the Purple Ice like mentioned above. Should work great and thats plenty of fluid to keep the car cool. My 416" 409 with the big griffin radiator runs 170 driving all day long, 185-190 sitting idling on hot humid days and right back down to 170 again once cruising. Never pukes.