???'s about 60 front suspension detailing

Brandon 348/320

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Trying to do a correct restoration of my 60 Impala coupe. Thought I knew what parts were to be black and natural but ordered the "How to Restore your 1957 Chevy" book and now I'm more confused more than I was before. I know this is not a 57, but have heard that this is a good book bc they go into detail on finishes of parts and bolts, etc.

Just starting with the frame section and got to the part about the front brake backing plate, spindles and steering knuckle. The book said that all these items are assembled first and painted SGB. I thought the spindle and steering knuckle was supposed to be natural. Am I wrong? If this is true then the bolts and all would be SGB since they are put together then painted.

Secondly, I have been going through each bolt on the front end and bagging to send to the plater. I have a bag for black oxide, cadmium, and natural. I was reading the book and came across the use of a natural heat treated bolt. I am sure that I have identified some of these as black oxide. Is there a difference in appearance?(one more bluer than the other?) The bolt ID finishes have been the hardest thing to figure out as most are surface rusted. IMG_2987.JPG IMG_2985.jpg

Also front sway bar is not listed in the paint restoration chart. Mine seems to be black. Was this left blank in the chart bc some assembly plants installed them painted SGB and some natural?

Thanks for any clarification on these items. I'm sure I will have more in just a few days.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Brandon, There are several high level restorers on this site like "pvs409" and "real61ss" that will chime in soon, but I recently came across an online article that included black and white pictures from an interview with a Pontiac assembly line worker in the early 60's that shed a lot of light on this very subject. Apparently some vendors shipped their suspension and other parts unpainted. The painted frames were completely assembled with all their pieces and sent down the line to a blackout paint booth where everything previously unpainted was given a quick squirt of black to prevent premature rusting and for aesthetic purposes. This may or may not apply to your 60, but we should be aware of how these cars were assembled back in the day. I am sure some of the colored paint dabs that indicted proper torque were slapped onto bare steel pieces and will be found under the black paint. I have been following your build and am looking forward to more pictures. The '60 Chevy has always been one of my favorites. Soldier On. Leo

Last edited: