Safe overbore for a 409 block

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok I got a 814 car block which the machine shop says it might need a sleeve to clean up a big ridge so what is a safe general overbore? .060 ? I don't like the idea of a sleeve even though tons have been unsuccessfully done

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Ok I got a 814 car block which the machine shop says it might need a sleeve to clean up a big ridge so what is a safe general overbore? .060 ? I don't like the idea of a sleeve even though tons have been unsuccessfully done
My son's 348 is going 60 over because of big ridge as we speak. My engine guy says his boring machine is broken , so it's going to Jack Merkel's shop here on Long Island.. He used to be Jack's head mechanic until he opened up his own place "Jeff Lawrence Racing Engines " In Westhampton N.Y. He built the original 331 small block and the 348 for "Joint Venture"PictureKodak easy share photos 840.jpg07-16-2010 03_11_31pm_00.jpg:crazy:cheers

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok machine shop called and wanted me to come look at the block as the pits in one cylinder are really deep so it needs a sleeve and the rest are so worn it should clean up at .060 over. I hate the thought of a sleeve but I'm not going to junk a qc car block. I should have taken pictures of it but spaced as I was in shock looking at the carnage. Amazing how much damage surface rust and dirt can hide!!