Salute to Nam Vets

55Brodie

Well Known Member
I turned 18 in late January 1970. Earlier that month, I almosr won the lottery. My draft number was 2. My brother and one brother in-law got back home in March of 68. My other brother in-law returned in May of 69. Can't say I was a big fan of the whole mess by then. I stupidly thought my best option was to enlist in the Army. Thankfully I never made it there but I have the utmost respect for those who did. What a terrible waste of young people.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
If memory serves me correctly and anymore it usually doesn't (CRS) but my number on the lottery was like 150 but in 1969 myself and some friends went out one night partying and we got in some trouble and from this trouble the Guberment reclassified me and decided they only wanted me in case of war and classified me 1-H I think it was.

Mark

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Came into Vietnam in March of 68 and out of the bush on the end of April of 68, someone stepped on a land mine behind or I stepped on a bouncing Betty, will never know for sure.
Ray (Fathead Racing) was in the same division as I was in only a different brigade and year, as the American Divison was made of 3 different brigade, the 196th, 198th & my 11th brigade.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
A side note here. I have a hard time getting my arms around the fact that Dave Mills and I were in Chu Lai at the same time. No doubt crossing paths a few times. Dave has become one of my most cherished friends in a very few years. Our lives have paralleled in ways that cannot be explained. Go figure that we would meet and almost instantly become friends.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
This may not be just privileged to Nam but a bizarre story just the same. When I was in Chu Lai I saw a Military police motor pool Buck Sargent drink a pop can of gasoline and go around puking it up and lighting it on fire. The back story is, he went around grabbing other guys Pepsi, which was scarce, in the motor pool and chug it. They got together and set him up. He was a tough sombitch. Never heard if he croaked or not.