Samsung Frig.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Do any of you fine folks own a Samsung refrigerator and you're having trouble with the automatic ice cube maker?? I do and I am. My frig. is 5 years old and was purchased new. Just recently, it stopped making ice. I consulted my owners manual and also looked at some info on Youtube. Couldn't get it to work. I called some local appliance repair shops and they refused to work on Samsung. Hmm..........................Didn't say why. Boy, that certainly is encouraging. Finally called Samsung and set up a repair appointment for this coming Saturday. The closest place is in Ridgeway, NJ, wherever that is, and the service call is $100.00 for a diagnosis, plus $100.00 labor and parts if needed. Can't tell you how disappointed I am in this frig. I know it's 5 years old, but I wouldn't expect this to happen now. I don't believe I would ever buy another Samsung product period. Interesting enough, I see on line, there has been a class action lawsuit filed against Samsung for faulty ice cube makers. It said not to do anything now and wait for it to work it way through the courts. The more I think about this $200.00 plus day to fix this, the more I think about making my own ice cubes or blocks of ice and putting it in the door dispenser. The dispenser works fine if there is anything to dispense, Carmine.

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I don't own their Fridge but I just shit-canned one of their microwaves after only 3 years. My parents have had the same microwave for 20 years. Only has a dial on it. This fancy POS has 200 buttons and settings and was a pain in the neck from the start.

I was able to repair my GE fridge from advice I found online. Sounds like you've already tried that....

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
My son did the same with their washer & dryer.
He has to have all bells & whistles, don’t know why, guess it’s the young generation.
I just replaced my dryer with a another MAYTAG after 15 years (they stopped making parts or what everyone told me).
The new one doesn’t dry as well. The old one I could stuff it with wet items, not so with the new one. Almost a 1/4 less.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I wouldn't buy anything with the Samsung name they don't have a very good reputation.

Mark

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Bags of ice go for a couple of bucks and last quite a while :).

I used to buy Sears products (Kenmore etal) for my rentals but have been buying Whirlpool now for a couple of years now. My appliance repair guys recommends them, well built, easy to get parts, etc.

TomK

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
carmine, I have a samsung as well and the ice maker took a crap after 3 years...I hated it because it took forever to fill a glass and it's about 6 glasses and your out...I now buy a bag of ice on the way home from church every sunday...I just love my bagged ice...

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Carmine,
Yes, i own a Samsung refrigerator, bigest piece of crap i ever bought! The only reason that i bought it was because they were the only people that had one to fit the odd size in our kitchen.
The first ice maker lasted a little over a year, had to completely replace the ice maker at a cost of over three hundred dollars. That one didnt last a year so they replaced it free of charge. The next one lasted a little over a year so the warranty had run out so it was back to me paying . It goes on, ive had the refrigerator about 7 years and have put 4 maybe 5 ice makers in it, ive lost count. But, as for the bag ice thing, that gets old too.
There is only one place in Richmond that will work on a Samsung and they just replace the entire unit.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Took me a while to catch on, but if I have it right, Ray aka Fathead Racing, is the one who shot a hole in the frig. door. Thanks for that suggestion, but think I'll wait on that :laugh4.
From what I'm reading here, I'm really thinking about cancelling my appointment for the repair. It's going to be $200.00 plus and it's longevity is still questionable. Just not certain what to do at this moment. One side of me says pay it and be done with it. The other side says to buy $2.00 bags of ice as needed and put it in the dispenser. I don't know, that might get old quick. Here is what I have done while awaiting a final decision on my part. I filled a deep tupperware plastic tray with water and froze it. After being solid, I removed in from the frig. and took an ice pick to it. While still in the container, picked it apart and that was a big mistake. The ice pick slipped and went right through the bottom. Geez :cry. Had to throw that one away. Moved what was left to an old steel pot and was able to pick it into small pieces, something the dispenser could accommodate which is where I put it. Have to figure something out soon if I'm going to cancel, Carmine.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Since you were looking to buy a 55 convertible ,maybe buy a new refrigerator and your trouble's are over with. Just sell your old one to a needy family that don't need a ice maker ..lol Oh,,,,, take Tom's advice....

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I have a name brand fridge and icemaker would not dump and it would overflow water in freezer area. Got online and problem was mentioned that tray goes bad on the coating. It would not release the cubes when time to dump. Sure enough ,ordered new unit online ,installed it myself and has been working for several years now. If I remember right it was around $60.00. I had to change or transfer only a couple of pieces from old one to new ice maker ,pretty easy.

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I had a former tenant whose ice make went out and she was adamant that I replace it (I bought her a couple of bags of ice, but that was not to be :)). So I bought her a new one (entire frig with ice maker) and put her former frig, which works just fine sans ice maker, in the Manshed. Problem solved and it only cost me a $1000 :(.

For those of you who own your own home, multiply your appliance headaches by 20 and you'll get an idea of what I get to deal with on what seems to be a weekly occurrence :). My biggest problem is the washer/dryers, people really abuse those by overloading and then wonder why they take out the bearings in the lower end :(. And then there's those 60 toilets and 20 garbage disposals that get battered and misused...

Cheers!
TomK

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Never thought a non working ice cube maker would generate so much interest, but it does. I think it's great. Thanks to all. I just called and cancelled my service appointment. I figured it would cost me in excess of $300.00 plus, by the time they were done. I only paid $1169.00 for the frig. new 4 years ago; not 5 as I initially mentioned. That pisses me off even more. There is no way I can justify spending about 1/4 of the purchase price of the frig. to fix the freakin' ice cube maker. This is so aggravating. So, I'll be buying either bagged ice or make my own. When I get tired of that crap, I'll give this frig. to a needy family for free and buy a new one. Bet it won't be a Samsung, Carmine.