Sandblasting

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
With my recent purchase of my 52 sandblasting is in my future again lol. I played hell when using a hopper from harbor freight & spot blaster ugh! I want something faster that doesn’t clog! Any good tips??

Junky

Well Known Member
Buy one from Tip in Ohio. They bring a good assortment to Fall Carlisle, and if you get there on the first day, you can make a good deal on a new one, but have to pick it up on Saturday, however, they have been known to have allowed the buyer to pick it up the same day on occasions. Plan on some extra purchases, since they have some slick "add on's" such as pedal operated guns, etc.
Today, I bought a small commercial unit that had UL wiring, foot pedal control, and a vacuum with it. I was given a harbor freight unit a few months ago, and never picked it up. While the HF one is a lot larger, I would have to spend a lot of time and money to make it into a unit that didn't leak, and has good lighting and safety controls.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Maybe it is just my experience, but all of the blasters I have used clog from time to time. Or the feed hose or pipe in cabinet like mine will clog a little. Nothing big, just put your had over the gun and step back on the pedal. Usually it blows it backwards and clears.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Maybe it is just my experience, but all of the blasters I have used clog from time to time. Or the feed hose or pipe in cabinet like mine will clog a little. Nothing big, just put your had over the gun and step back on the pedal. Usually it blows it backwards and clears.
That’s what I have been through as well really gets on my nerves lol. I sold off two hopper blasters cause of clogging. I was thinking of something like this....

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Like this guy here? Any luck with any of these wet blast kits that hook to power washers?

Attachments

• B16402F0-9B1F-423C-9715-F80F55413F56.jpeg
    B16402F0-9B1F-423C-9715-F80F55413F56.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 7

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Buy one from Tip in Ohio. They bring a good assortment to Fall Carlisle, and if you get there on the first day, you can make a good deal on a new one, but have to pick it up on Saturday, however, they have been known to have allowed the buyer to pick it up the same day on occasions. Plan on some extra purchases, since they have some slick "add on's" such as pedal operated guns, etc.
Today, I bought a small commercial unit that had UL wiring, foot pedal control, and a vacuum with it. I was given a harbor freight unit a few months ago, and never picked it up. While the HF one is a lot larger, I would have to spend a lot of time and money to make it into a unit that didn't leak, and has good lighting and safety controls.
The harbor freight are junk had them both too much time spent on working on the tool! I’ll definitely be at Carlisle this October can’t wait much to look for!! Thanks for the tip!!

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I guess I'm old school. I bought a pressure tank blaster from Eastwood about 25 years ago. Works fantastic for what I do.
Has a gun with replaceable ceramic tip inserts. I pressurize the tank to 100 lbs and it's good to go.
I had a 38 Ford Tudoor on my rotisserie and blasted the whole car, no problem. I make sure I have all the consumable parts
for the blaster on hand before starting a project. I also have a non-pressurized unit for small jobs, and a blast cabinet for other jobs.
Sand blasting is nasty work. I don't like it. It can also kill you. My days of big sand blasting work is over, I just do small jobs now.
If I was working on a car like what you have, I would use a pressurized unit. And yes, Tip does sell some good stuff. I've bought products
from them several times. Just make sure that you do NOT breathe the air with sand particles in it !
Back in the middle 80's I was building a 61 Impala Bubbletop. I took it to a local guy and he sandblasted the bottom & some other parts.
A year later, he was dead from silicosis. His son took over the business and he also died from silicosis a few years later.
Take precautions if you sandblast !

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I had built a plywood box big enough to get bigger parts in to blast . Put some old glass over it to see in. Yes I got sick breathing that crap soon found out that's a no no. I have a bench top bead blaster that I connect a shop vac to it and amazed how it much junk gets in the filter. That did all my small parts when I was doing some car projects. I still use it time to time for some quick clean up for various projects.

Last edited:

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I guess I'm old school. I bought a pressure tank blaster from Eastwood about 25 years ago. Works fantastic for what I do.
Has a gun with replaceable ceramic tip inserts. I pressurize the tank to 100 lbs and it's good to go.
I had a 38 Ford Tudoor on my rotisserie and blasted the whole car, no problem. I make sure I have all the consumable parts
for the blaster on hand before starting a project. I also have a non-pressurized unit for small jobs, and a blast cabinet for other jobs.
Sand blasting is nasty work. I don't like it. It can also kill you. My days of big sand blasting work is over, I just do small jobs now.
If I was working on a car like what you have, I would use a pressurized unit. And yes, Tip does sell some good stuff. I've bought products
from them several times. Just make sure that you do NOT breathe the air with sand particles in it !
Back in the middle 80's I was building a 61 Impala Bubbletop. I took it to a local guy and he sandblasted the bottom & some other parts.
A year later, he was dead from silicosis. His son took over the business and he also died from silicosis a few years later.
Take precautions if you sandblast !
Yeah I don’t do any without a mask and that’s a 3m respirator my uncle died at 61 no mask he did big stuff tanks, bridges but never worn a mask. So maybe the Eastwood tank is worth a shot then what kind of media did you use?

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I had built a plywood box big enough to get bigger parts in to blast . Put some old glass over it to see in. Yes I got sick breathing that crap soon found out that's a no no. I have a bench top bead blaster that I connect a shop vac to it and amazed how it much junk gets in the filter. That did all my small parts when I was doing some car projects. I still use it time to time for some quick clean up for various projects.
That sounds cool except for the no mask part! I just hate the nooks and crannies and I just feel like sand blasting is a lot of setup time, I called a local guy to come out to just blast certain spots on the car he wants 2000.00 and will only do the whole car which in his words was just certain outside of the car lol I think I’m gonna try Eastwood there close enough to me I can drive out and look.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I use one like this for small stuff using glass bead . I have used a hose and gun with a fitting on lower side to attach hose of 5 gallon bucket with fine sand for other area on car.That is messy gets all over..3951103.jpeg

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This is mine. It has the dust collector on the other side. Even so, it is loud and I don't think the dust collector has ever worked as good as it should. I wear a mask most of the time. Real small jobs, no. I always have the doors open and the exhaust pointed out.

Garage 010.JPG

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I definitely like both of those blasters no more harbor freight for me except for the stuff that doesn’t matter :D

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I built a wood cabinet for minet with a comfortable height to set it on and has storage below with doors and casters on it so I can roll it anywhere. For small items with glass beads keeps the parts smooth. Have clear liners in cabinet below to replace when needed.

Last edited:

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yeah I don’t do any without a mask and that’s a 3m respirator my uncle died at 61 no mask he did big stuff tanks, bridges but never worn a mask. So maybe the Eastwood tank is worth a shot then what kind of media did you use?

Back when I did the 38 I bought a pallet of “Star blast “ from DuPont. It worked very well. Left a nice smooth finish on the sheet metal. I don’t know if that stuff is even available now days.
Now I use silica sand ! Yep. That’s right. I get it free at my work. I’ve got a fresh 55 gallon barrel of it now (for future use) as I plan on retiring soon. It works really well too, you just have to make sure you don’t breath ANY of the dust .
If I remember correctly, Star Blast came from beach sand in Florida. It was supposed to be safer to use. I don’t think any of this stuff is safe.
You might google Star Blast to read about its availability/ use / health risk, etc.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Back when I did the 38 I bought a pallet of “Star blast “ from DuPont. It worked very well. Left a nice smooth finish on the sheet metal. I don’t know if that stuff is even available now days.
Now I use silica sand ! Yep. That’s right. I get it free at my work. I’ve got a fresh 55 gallon barrel of it now (for future use) as I plan on retiring soon. It works really well too, you just have to make sure you don’t breath ANY of the dust .
If I remember correctly, Star Blast came from beach sand in Florida. It was supposed to be safer to use. I don’t think any of this stuff is safe.
You might google Star Blast to read about its availability/ use / health risk, etc.
I hear a lot of guys talking about play sand screening it let sit in the sun and say it works really well. I used tractor supplies black diamond which did a nice job, but that hf kept clogging no matter what I did ugh!

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
For me it depends on what I am blasting. Really hard stuff, 80 grit silcon carbide, Easy stuff very mild glass bead.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

Harry, I have never used straight sand so to speak. About what grit is that? And how well do you think it works and holds up?

thanks