Sandblasting

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Harry, I have never used straight sand so to speak. About what grit is that? And how well do you think it works and holds up?

thanks
I hear ya I have a few friends who use it, cause it’s cheap I personally have not used it. I was wondering if maybe some on here have. They haven’t have problems but knowing my luck it would cost me a paint job lol

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
In my dustless blaster, I used crushed glass; it's about $10 a bag at Northern tool. When I ran out, I used playground sand; no problem with silica dust because it was wet and not floating around in the air. Right now, I have black beauty in my big cabinet. The guy who bought my Dustless Blaster is using coal slag. He did the fenders and inner fenders for my 61 and they came out fine. I also have a HF 110 lb. pressure pot and used it for years with no problem until I got scared of silicosis. I may dig it back out and use glass or coal slag.
Smaller parts that I want to be careful with, I just take to work and use the soda blast cabinet.

409Inmyblood

Back in the 80's I did a lot of blasting one summer with silica sand with little use of a mask. Stupid! I've always worried about that catching up with me, but nothing so far! Keep praying! I only use Black Beauty now in my cabinet and my hopper. It is a tad more abrasive but does not have the same dust issues and tends not to clog. I wear the mask always now!

409Inmyblood

I use medical grade masks masks approved for hospital wear (I work in healthcare). They are N95. Little more expensive than others but you can’t buy new lungs. You can get them at some pharmacies or on-line via Amazon. Look for 3M 8511 - Cool Flow. 10 in a box for $13.28.

Junky

Well Known Member
Thanks... I need a new body... The old one is giving me grief, and is worn out, and replacement parts are not available.

Junky

Well Known Member
I need 2 knees, an elbow, 2 shoulders, and 1 hip. They are just going to let the meter run out before they give me anything! Most likely because they already know that I hate the demoncraps!

wristpin

Well Known Member
Anyone looking i have a perfectly good brain for sale. Rarely used.
BTW getting a sandblaster this wkend (guilted my brother into buying me one :cool:) and already bought a 3hp vacumn cleaner and two 5 gal buckets to set up with filters prior to vac cleaner...redundancy may be over done.

Junky

Well Known Member
I need 2 knees, an elbow, 2 shoulders, and 1 hip. They are just going to let the meter run out before they give me anything! Most likely because they already know that I hate the demoncraps!

now I have added 2 more carpal tunnel surgeries to the list! I am wearing out faster than they can fix me.