Saving the 1962 convertible

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
James stopped by yesterday to gather up the BA409 car and we had the chance to move the 1962 convertible into the spot where the BA409 car has been residing for a few months. Now it's in the lower section of the mancave where I can make a mess :). The upper section was convenient for the time being, but the convert was occupying the space normally reserved for the SWC.

Now that the convert body is down beneath I can begin to dismantle the poor workmanship (if one can even call it that...) and inspect the body, etc. Plans are to remove the pans and the trunk section that were crudely "installed" and clean up the parts for storage. I'm gonna take a break from this project for a bit so I can gather up the resources to do it correctly.

I removed the driver's side half of the floor pan this morning to inspect. This was a new piece from about three years ago, properly etched and then coated with POR-15. Clearly it had a hard early life, take a look at it's current status:
Floor pans.jpg

Not what I would call a positive example of the "rust incapsulation" that the POR-15 ads make claim to... It peeled off in sheets revealing light corrosion amidst some clean metal :(.

I'm certain that there was some "sitting outside" over the past year or so, as I found leaves and debris in the creases of the convertible top :(.

Look at what he was covering up with that "new" floor pan:

Inner rockers.jpg
That's a nasty looking inner rocker that needs removal and replacement. Looks like he was going to go right over that. I had supplied both inner and outer rockers, but those did not make the trek home. Now that the pans are out I will attach some angle iron across both doors to hold the body in place...

More later as I continue this exploration of deeds done bad :( :( :(.

Cheers! TomK

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I stopped using it, 5 or 6 years ago.:doh At one time, it took your breath away.:eek1 It smelled really toxic, and it worked reasonably well. :clapAs time went by, it didn't adhere to rusty metal anymore. :dunno They are probably losing customer's, because they are offering Free Shipping.:dunno2 I know, the business changed hands. Bean counters, ruined it.:confused

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Now that it's down in the lower level:

View attachment 77779

I started stripping paint from the trunk lid and the top of the passenger's quarter:

View attachment 77778

Check out this brazed patch over the antenna area :
View attachment 77780

What do you think was going on here?

TomK

Cannot say for sure, however it reminds me of some stuff that lots of people were doing in the 70's. They would usually take exhaust tubing and cut holes in the sides, or where the antennas were to recesses them, and or put in electric ones. I have seen square and rectangle ones also, however they were rare. :scratch

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
That will be a nice project to occupy your free time.You probably know this already.Save as much of the quarter as possible.The filler piece between the trunk and back seat is narrower on a convertible.Reproduction and hardtop quarters require quite a bit of work in the trunk corners to make fit.They also are different where the pinch molding goes for the convertible boot snaps.If you can leave those areas original you are way ahead of the game.Wheel houses are different as well.When you replace the rocker save the additional inner support that convertibles get.Mine was rusted thru.I had to make a template and have a sheet metal shop bend one for me.Good luck,it’s going to be a nice car when you finish.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
James stopped by yesterday to gather up the BA409 car and we had the chance to move the 1962 convertible into the spot where the BA409 car has been residing for a few months. Now it's in the lower section of the mancave where I can make a mess :). The upper section was convenient for the time being, but the convert was occupying the space normally reserved for the SWC.

Now that the convert body is down beneath I can begin to dismantle the poor workmanship (if one can even call it that...) and inspect the body, etc. Plans are to remove the pans and the trunk section that were crudely "installed" and clean up the parts for storage. I'm gonna take a break from this project for a bit so I can gather up the resources to do it correctly.

I removed the driver's side half of the floor pan this morning to inspect. This was a new piece from about three years ago, properly etched and then coated with POR-15. Clearly it had a hard early life, take a look at it's current status:
View attachment 77776

Not what I would call a positive example of the "rust incapsulation" that the POR-15 ads make claim to... It peeled off in sheets revealing light corrosion amidst some clean metal :(.

I'm certain that there was some "sitting outside" over the past year or so, as I found leaves and debris in the creases of the convertible top :(.

Look at what he was covering up with that "new" floor pan:

View attachment 77777
That's a nasty looking inner rocker that needs removal and replacement. Looks like he was going to go right over that. I had supplied both inner and outer rockers, but those did not make the trek home. Now that the pans are out I will attach some angle iron across both doors to hold the body in place...

More later as I continue this exploration of deeds done bad :( :( :(.

Cheers! TomK
Sorry to hear what this guy did to you and your convertible Tom. A real shame that someone could do what he did.:furious
The full floors look nice, may be a little tricky getting in place. Mike and I have replaced a few complete floors, but we piece them together. Start with rockers then cross braces the the two piece floor. Once the rockers are relaced or repaired, the braces and floors go in pretty easy.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have about 50 pictures of removal of the full convertible floor with all the braces, transfer of all the things that do not come on a full floor pan including convertible only items, , plus installation of the full floor pan from the bottom of the car.
The full floor has to be installed from the bottom.

the full convertible floor pan we bought in 2016 ( $ 1200 + $ 145 truck freight to Iowa)for my friends 62 SS Impala 409 convertible came from Cars inc . It was jig welded floor - you need a quality floor pan ( find out we’re it was made). Ours was USA or Canada.
i could not find the full floor pan on their site now.

i remember when you bought the parts I picked up for you, I thought you were saving braces. also have add the 4 extra convertible only mounts ( carriage nuts) inside 4 braces on the full floor
i agree with Phil the full floor is easier - you cannot tell that my friends floor was replaced now that his car is done.

i won’t be able post any pictures until after the 18th ( we are in Arizona for a week visting my brother - going to Barrett Jackson for at least one day)

Paul

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Paul:

Thank for your response, have fun at B-J!!! Hard to believe but I was there third week of January 5 years ago. One day at B-J and I was saturated!

I do have questions about how that angle brace fits into the equation, but am in no hurry at this point :).

Have fun in AZ, be sure to take in the sights :).

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Second year in a row for Barrett Jackson, went 2 days last year.
no reserve auctions can cause nice cars to go cheap ( from last year)

the angle brace? Not sure what you mean

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
That piece that runs along the pans that is unique to the convertible. It's that support piece. I think I have two of them from when I got all those CARS parts from you. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Enjoy! TomK

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I think you mean the u shaped( on the ends) long support brace (that is factory spot welded on 2 long edges) to the bottom of rockers of all convertibles ( 61 to 64 for sure).

cars does sell them in order to replace 1/4s or outer rockers the brace has to be removed and.. replaced.
i have a bunch of pictures of the braces on my computer at home

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Paul.....save $200 grand for me and I'll call and tell you which car to buy for me!!!!!!!!!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I thought I'd "explore" the driver's side quarter this morning:

20200110_115150 (1).jpg

First steps using a chemical stripper:

20200113_094530.jpg
As expected, it was a skin added over the original quarter:

20200113_104129 (1).jpg

I think I'll leave it at that since the proper procedure is to cut out the old and weld in the new replacement...

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5