Saving the 1962 convertible

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Your project looks to be a great one, love the picture of the one finished. WOW.
Sorry to break into your blog, but was wondering if I could pick your brain a little.?
Tom I was wondering if you knew what this part was called, I sort or butchered it up
taking it apart when removing my floors and rockers. I doubt if they make it. Thanks. Cash

100_3213.jpeg100_3521.jpeg100_3522.jpeg

Attachments

• 100_3687 2.jpeg
    100_3687 2.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 9

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Pretty sure that part is not reproduced, but I wish it was as both sides of my '62 convertible are beyond recognition.

Maybe together we can bang out a few sets :). I'm pretty sure the BA409 car will need them as well. When I get back to the Mancave I'll snap a picture of what they look like from the factory :).

Cheers! TomK

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Your project looks to be a great one, love the picture of the one finished. WOW.
Sorry to break into your blog, but was wondering if I could pick your brain a little.?
Tom I was wondering if you knew what this part was called, I sort or butchered it up
taking it apart when removing my floors and rockers. I doubt if they make it. Thanks. Cash

View attachment 77953View attachment 77954View attachment 77955
Give Brent Reese a call 714-720-3438 Text is good to or email OGMR64SS@aol.com he was/is reproducing those.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I had to get those parts off a 4 door parts car for one of my past restoration’s.
if they are being reproduced there good market for those pieces.
Paul

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Paul:

I located that U channel we were talking about. Both pieces. Must have been something you picked up from CARS?

Does it get welded into place? How do I determine location front to rear? I'm guessing it's something that can be installed after the rockers are in place, after the braces are welded in?

Cheers! TomK

P.S. How much fun are you having at B-J?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Yes Cars sells them
i can measure mine on my original 62 SS Convertible + I have lots of pictures of the bottom of the rockers on my 2- 62 convertibles ( next week when I get home)
they were spot welded to the bottom of the rockers on both sides of the rockers Slightly to the outside of the lip on the rocker.

Just got back from a day at Barrett Jackson. Lots of nice cars to look at.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Pretty sure that part is not reproduced, but I wish it was as both sides of my '62 convertible are beyond recognition.

Maybe together we can bang out a few sets :). I'm pretty sure the BA409 car will need them as well. When I get back to the Mancave I'll snap a picture of what they look like from the factory :).

Cheers! TomK
I'm in the process of making a pattern for the passenger side front piece for my 62. I already fabbed up the driver side. Once I have both sides figured out, I do have to make a couple sets. If you can't get the reproduction as mentioned by ragtp66, I may be able to make a couple more sets. I woild not consider mine reproduction at all, just a fabricated patch panel.IMG_20200116_064711.jpgIMG_20200116_064729.jpgIMG_20200116_064543.jpg

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks Tom for the info, Paul at one time did send me a note about a guy I think from England that made a set of these and has them online, I'll try and send it to you. He's very talented. stan

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Tom if. you go to the Members Builds and find my Bel Air Bubble top 409 Build. On my first page are some pictures of the front of my Bel Air with some very good pictures of the part im talking about, just from the outside. take a look, it might help. Also in the build on page 7 I think is the guy from England or Sweden that built some of these.
Good luck. stan

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi, just noticed the difference in both parts, then it hit me. My Bel Air came with Air conditioning, and the Impala did not. The cowl is different on them, so Im wondering if
this would make these two parts different? What a puzzle?. Or do you think a Bel Air
would have had a different part?. for some reason. going crazy now.