Saving the 1962 convertible

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sorry to dig up this old thread but I'm preparing to have some sections of the floor on my 64 convertible replaced with some parts from classic industries. I was hoping Paul had those photos of the floors he has replaced and some insight as to which pieces are "convertible only" that I should remind my buddy to take off of the old floor pan.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is what I wrote about 61-64 convertibles and works for Hardtops and other models -for a 63 Convertible floor work

remember that those floor pans do not have these items -and you have to transfer the items to the new floor pan from the originals

gas pedal studs and plate with them

U shaped diagonal braces under the front floor pans

back seat springs mounting brackets (there are 4 brackets) -convertible only brackets for upper seat springs - other models had bendable tabs

seat belt mounting nuts for front seat- 2 sets of 4 nuts

this is very important ---- your convertible has 4 extra frame brackets that are mounted to the floor pan braces -those mounting nuts need to be reinstalled to match the frame supports -the nuts are inside the braces

your convertible only top rack brackets have to be removed and replaced to replace that floor pan in the back seat.
Also there are convertible only top cylinder mounting brackets (4 nuts welded on the brace under the front of the back seat) that have to be transferred or added.

If your convertible is a SS car you have bucket seat brackets, SS console brackets and shift console brackets(for 63 & 64) to transfer from the old floors to the new floor pan. 62 SS consoles have drilled holes in the floor pan to mount the console box

you need the drain covers for the drain holes -they are sold new if you do not reuse the original drain covers mounted with 2 hex head screws for each oval drainhole (8 of them inside the car and 2 in the trunk)

Another item -if you have bench seats or want your floor pan to be original in a SS car that has bucket seat brackets with studs welded to the top of the floor pan
Bench seat mounting brackets and mounting nuts do not exist on repro floor pans -you need to transfer the brackets to the new floor pan

Paul

4 pictures from my hundreds of restoration pictures of 3 frame off restorationsP1030330_tn.jpgP1030331_tn.jpgP1030420.jpgP1030472_tn.jpg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here are the frame mount nuts that go inside the braces for convertibles - you will probably break the bolts off
in the original nuts inside the braces

I suggest you review all the available body sheetmetal items that are made on Show Cars web site or Cars Inc

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Can someone tell me what this piece is called? I need to pick one up tomorrow from classic industries. Is it just called "front floor pan support brace"? Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230331_133259_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230331_133259_Messages.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20230331_134220_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230331_134220_Gallery.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
James and I headed to Springfield MO to visit with Rodney and Russ and to load some stuff to haul back to Columbia MO.

So far, she's a solid painted body with lots of new parts :). Needs interior and new drive train along with tires and wheels, etc.

Thanks to everyone who has been a big part of this venture. Always wanted to have a convertible like Dad's 62 :).

Here's a few shots I took:

Right side shot.jpg

New home.jpg

Home at last!

Home at last 9.14.2023.jpg

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
She was Twilight Turquoise over Aqua from the factory. It's a "recreation" of the SS badging, she was all bench from the factory.

I'm partially converting her to an SS car with AC and PW. She was PW from the factory, but not air (thanks Gordie!). I snagged the SS buckets and tracks and the console/grab bar from other parts cars :).

Will be a dual quad 409 but with some liberties (carbs, exhaust, etc). Richmond 5 speed (thanks Paul!).

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Tom
glad to help with parts for your convertible restoration. looks great............

I have another suggestion.
It looks like your trunk lid is missing the Impala SS emblem on the right side of the trunk above
the long aluminum trim piece -If its missing I have a template to drill the holes (our use your factory SS Impala HT )
Paul

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Tom ,your car looks great. Done from inside to out, instead of outside to in like it was botched before. That's the way they should be done. You can be proud of that one for sure. What wheels tires are you planning? Stock with ss caps??