SAVING THE TALLAHASSEE THOROBRED

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
My '62 Impala cowl tag has an "SS" but it was a Van Nuys build. Could be a Super Sport, not sure what the X1 represents.

Verne Frantz or ChevyTaylor from down under would likely have more insight :).

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Did this car come from the factory with that alloy front end on it? It sounds simple like Experimental package 1 but proving that's gonna be tough.There is some reason the factory did this though just adding to the rarity of this piece of automotive history.Kuddo's to Russ for bringing it back.:appl:appl

RussC

Well Known Member
The car was purchased off the dealership lot...409 hp...4 speed...radio...heater...padded dash. It was family transportation for about 3 years...street raced..."dad carried slicks in the trunk". Became a dedicated drag car in 65-66. The aluminum was added sometime prior to April 67. In the same time frame the car was known to have a Z11 motor

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
When I reread the ChevyTalk post I realized that Carl and Verne have two different opinions on the matter of sharing VIN tag info.

That said, since the vehicle in question was a Super Sport from the factory, it makes sense that "SPORT" was used on at least the 62 (and it appears also the 63) Super Sports that were assembled at the Atlanta plant. There is some question about the "X1" but that doesn't have much bearing on the topic. Some speculate that it might have meant having a RH mirror on the door, that sort of thing.

I look forward to making the trek down to Springfield MO in the coming weeks to take in all that is RussC and his many finished projects :) :) :).

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
To my knowledge any complete evaluation of cowl tags was/is done one on one privately with the car owner so to
not make the data available online to those who seek to make up cars with tags.
My St. Louis GM plant 1962 Impala SS tags are different.

Paul

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
To my knowledge any complete evaluation of cowl tags was/is done one on one privately with the car owner so to
not make the data available online to those who seek to make up cars with tags.
My St. Louis GM plant 1962 Impala SS tags are different.

Paul
I agree one on one only Paul. That’s why I love to look at 61 SS cars as usually they will give themselves up in a quick walk around!
Oh I’ll bet my 62 SS St Louis and your 62 SS St Louis cowl and vin tags somewhat match with of course sequence numbers :cool:
Robert