Saw Mill

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Ten years ago I had a giant hardwood blow over, Rockhound came over to haul it off for cutting up as I had thought it was a walnut, but it was some crappy oak (like a shingle oak) so it was mostly cordwood...

Is that a new saw mill? I remember seeing the one he had a decade ago? The one that hippy guy trashed the blade when using it without his knowledge :(.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So amazing watching old trees turned into boards. When I bought our house back in 2015 we had to cut half of a 100 year old Mulberry down. Used my poor car trailer to carry the massive trunk in three sections 40" across at the widest point. (was way over loaded). Arrived at the Saw mill and stood there and watched him make boards for me. So cool! I still have about 1 truck load left if anyone really wants Mulberry boards.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I was thinking " Here we go round the Mulberry Bush, The Mulberry Bush, The Mulberry Bush " :dunno Never Mind.:dunno2
I had never seen a Mulberry tree as big as ours before and neither had our Arborist. Our house was built in 1925 and one of the first houses built in the area. We think it was put in place by the owners to signal the yard space because it was placed directly between the second house built in the area right next door. Based upon the number of growth rings we counted it would make the tree the same age as the house itself.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Had to stop at rockhounds to do some trouble shooting on the sawmill.
Found it had a bad switch, if he gets the part and weather holds out we should be back to wook this weekend.
View attachment 69901
View attachment 69902
We had a large slab made of our tree as well. Love the colors on your piece too. Ours has a bright yellow core. I'll try and snap a shot of it later tonight. We plan to make a coffee table out of it once the boys are old enough to not bonk their heads on it.