SBC Distributor style change

wristpin

Well Known Member
I have one of the new style distributors that have 1-3-5-7 on one side and 2-4-6-8 on the other. Other than wiring clips being different is there any known reason i can't use it on an existing older 350?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The electronics are completely different,and if it's a factory piece,it's PLASTIC.It'll fit,but won't work in anything prior to 96.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Those distributors are use for cam position reference and distributing the secondary voltage.
The engines that use this style distributor have a crank position sensor that picks up from the crank.
So if you could get a pickup coil in the distributor you could make it work but it has now advance built in it.

wristpin

Well Known Member
I'll have to scounge around a few boxes and see if combining some new side electrode with old upper circle type can create something useable, tunable and hassle free. I'd like to have it work for use in my S-10.

wristpin

Well Known Member
That sounds like a pretty good idea James. I think I read on here someone has a 7AL they're not using. Maybe someone reading this would make an offer to sell theirs.