SBC Main Bearing Cap "Straps"

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Does anyone know who makes these for a small block? A friend has a motor that had tham on it but misplaced them.

The "Strap" is installed on top of the main cap after the cap is milled flat.

strap1.jpg

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
Brian, CV Products makes those straps, though I have made them from billet steel before when I was in a bind. CV makes them for all five positions. Check them out at www.cvproducts.com or call (800)448-1223. Jeremy

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wow, didn't expect responses so quickly. On thing though, it's for a 283. Are either the 350 or 400 the same spacing?

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
I finally located my CV Products catalog, and the straps they sell are also made by BLP. They also have some available from Pro-Gram. They do list different part numbers for 350 and 400 main sizes. Jeremy

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:? I am not sure about the cap dimensions for a 283 I wish i had one left around to compare. If you find you can't get them for a 283 get me dimentions and I have a shop that can make resonable.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The small journal engines[265,283,327-thru 67] all used the same main cap spacing.Starting with the 68 year engines[307,327,350,] Chevy went with a larger main bearing size,heance wider spacing.The 400 blocks went bigger yet,so we have a different size here as well.Now I have to ask,how much power/rpm are you trying to push that 283 to :eek: that you'd even need straps on the caps?

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:dunno Don the issue now has to be the material stranght taken away with machining the caps for the straps.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It was a previously built engine that was taken apart for inspection many years ago. The guy is just trying to put it back together so he can run it.

Guess he will have to get some made since the spacing is different.