SBC Vortec heads

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Have not posted in here for a while so I need to make a post. This past weekend I got a chance to flow some 062-906 Vorted heads with some work done to the 2nd pair. The stock Vortecs with a Stone valve job (cause that all I have) went 232 cfm @.500 intake and 168 Exhaust @.500 lift with no pipe. Now here is what the 2nd set went. These heads only had a few things done to them but they did flow pretty good for heads with a 1.94 intake and 1.5 exhaust. The cylinder head guy testing them was pretty savvy and does a lot of work on some exotic heads, some stuff I looked at just blew me away but due to not wanting to let things out I will respect his work. Now for the other head, it had a fill in along one side of the intake port wall, mild bowl porting, valve guide slimming and a little unshrouding in the chamber. With the small amount of work I did the suckers went 250cfm@.550 lift and 178 something @.500 lift without a pipe. With a pipe that little port went almost 190 cfm and carried it all the way to .700 lift which was simply amazing to me. I asked if I should put the bigger valves in the heads and his answer was "why do you want to slow down" we all got a good laugh with that one. He plugged it into his computer and with the flat top 406 I am going to use with the right cam it showed 500 to 520hp. Pretty good for a production heads. Next I will do the same work to my large port Vortec heads and I am willing to bet I can get them to go 280 on the bench. Starting out to be a fun winter.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have a pair of peanut port BBC heads that will be getting some porting done this winter. I have until spring to get them ready to bolt onto my 75' Hondo Jet boat. These heads have made 450+hp but I think there is another 50hp waiting to come out. There are only a handful of builds that have been posted online that make those kinds of numbers with small peanut port heads. We will see what I end up with. Any pictures of your porting you can share with us?

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I have a pair of peanut port BBC heads that will be getting some porting done this winter. I have until spring to get them ready to bolt onto my 75' Hondo Jet boat. These heads have made 450+hp but I think there is another 50hp waiting to come out. There are only a handful of builds that have been posted online that make those kinds of numbers with small peanut port heads. We will see what I end up with. Any pictures of your porting you can share with us?

I don't have any real flow data for my 236 PP and my big valve 360 PP heads. I will tell you this, my 461 7.95 compression Peanut Port engine went 11.78@112 in the car this year with the little port heads.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I don't have any real flow data for my 236 PP and my big valve 360 PP heads. I will tell you this, my 461 7.95 compression Peanut Port engine went 11.78@112 in the car this year with the little port heads.
What intake does it have on it? I have an Edelbrock 2.0 dual plane on it now but I'm trying to hunt down a oval port tunnel ram to shoe horn on top. Jet boat wouldn't look right with anything else on it. :guitar

425/409ER

Well Known Member
What intake does it have on it? I have an Edelbrock 2.0 dual plane on it now but I'm trying to hunt down a oval port tunnel ram to shoe horn on top. Jet boat wouldn't look right with anything else on it. :guitar

I ran a modified Holley Strip Dominator, one of those China single plane, an Air Gap, and the one that worked the best was the Weiand Street Worrior. 461 went the best with a 850 Mighty Demon and a 750 QF dp. Engine liked 44° timing also.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just an update on this. Today I got to go out racing with the 400 that had the "STOCK" Vortec heads on it. Car ran 11.66@114mph. A truly amazing production cylinder head.
That rocks! Do you have any pictures of the motor and the car? I have a 400sbc I have thought about adapting some Vortech heads to because I have all of the factory parts for belair wagon to put the small block back in it. Hard to hide Vortech bolt pattern valve covers but the idea is to keep the factory sbc mounts to run air, power steering and such. No one would know that there isn't a 283 in it still besides the heads. Might just go with some double humps I have laying around too, then it all looks factory. Anyway. I have an update on my boat build. I have scrapped together some hi po square ports with 2.30 intake valves in them and a tunnel ram. Even found the old school scoop to top it off for that 70's look. Just a matter of rebuild now and with the cam going in it I'm guessing around 575hp, maybe just under that unless I can come up with a little more for the rods and pistons I need for more hp.
20200522_145332.jpg

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My boy love it. The second shot is when I ran it over to the lake down the street to see if it was water tight. Didn't take on a drop so I expect to have the motor in it and running before fall. I've been doing auto upholstery for 20 plus years now so the interior should be really easy. Not going to paint it up nice until I can make sure everything mechanically works as it should. My father in law paints cars for a living so this should be a fun one for him. Might even stick to the yellow and brown because its original.
20191020_161615.jpg20191027_142047.jpg

425/409ER

Well Known Member
That rocks! Do you have any pictures of the motor and the car? I have a 400sbc I have thought about adapting some Vortech heads to because I have all of the factory parts for belair wagon to put the small block back in it. Hard to hide Vortech bolt pattern valve covers but the idea is to keep the factory sbc mounts to run air, power steering and such. No one would know that there isn't a 283 in it still besides the heads. Might just go with some double humps I have laying around too, then it all looks factory. Anyway. I have an update on my boat build. I have scrapped together some hi po square ports with 2.30 intake valves in them and a tunnel ram. Even found the old school scoop to top it off for that 70's look. Just a matter of rebuild now and with the cam going in it I'm guessing around 575hp, maybe just under that unless I can come up with a little more for the rods and pistons I need for more hp.
View attachment 83036

Sure I can snap some. It's not much to look at, kinda looks like a street engine. Everyone at the track was surprised by how well the car ran with a dual plane intake on a SBC. Bet my SV would have run a few MPH better.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
View attachment 83036

Here is a picture of the 406, sorry it's late.
The shocker is tonight with the mild ported 062's the car ran 10.92@120mph. 1st run was 11.02 off the trailer so I had to get a 10 out of it today.

20200802_160725_HDR.jpg

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
View attachment 83036
Yeah go ahead and put those old "double humps on that small block.You'll be leaving 35-40 hp right on the table just in favor of looks??:doh

ragtp66

Well Known Member
use the centerbolt to perimeter bolt valve cover adapters most people would not even catch it if you paint the adapters orange like the heads. You can kinda hide the intake bolts if you run both heater hoses over the top of the intake bolts use an adel clamp or two to keep them in place, Only the really sharp eyes will catch it.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What is the casting number for your heads? Casting dates while we are at it!!!!!
461 I think they are from 64. Look to have been ported and polished at some point. Might have been used for racing in the past if I remember what the guy told me that sold them to me. They were cheap taking up space in his garage. 20171129_215013.jpg20171129_215137.jpg20171129_215054.jpg