SBC vs. 409

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Just be aware that there were 2 intakes for the 400 hp engines.There's the 62-early 63 intake and the late 63-65 intake.The early one didn't have the provisions for power brakes,the other one did.
Don are the casting numbers the same?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
No they're not.If you look in our intake manifold sections you'll be able to find the numbers. If you're looking at one out in the"field" ,the later one has a drilled and tapped hole in number 8 runner,the early won't have it.Other than that and the differing casting numbers they are the same.I noticed from his pictures that his car has a power brake unit on it.

427John

Well Known Member
I think it is a solid lifter engine that requires periodic valve adjustments. I just don't want to get too involved in the mechanics of something again.
This should not be a concern except for a daily driver,as long as the rockers have good self locking nuts or positive locking nuts typical manufacturer recommendations for adjustment is around 12,000 miles,the guys you remember adjusting them every weekend was for the track looking for every last bit of power,and I think that was overkill.I can't remember the last time I adjusted them in the 427 in my Starliner.