Scared bird brackets

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone has used scaredbird brake brackets. I have a set for my 63 bel air but in the directions of what calipers rotors etc. to use it says use a adjustable proportion valve? I have a new master booster and valve from right stuff and i really don’t want to use a adjustable valve plus does the change the calipers? Thank you

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Generally the adjustable valve would go to the rear brakes.
You just have to test drive and see if you need less rear brakes...... then add the valve if needed..... but would guess if you have a valve already for front disc you would be good.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yeah that makes sense the only thing that was throwing me is cause of the fact you use calipers from a blazer and rotors from a Monte Carlo to do the disc conversion with the scared bird brackets.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Are you running disc / drum and is your valve for that set up?
If so I would try it.
Upgraded tires will play in also on braking performance.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes disc/drum upgrading the tires? I think your missing the point of what I’m asking. My booster master & valve are from right stuff.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You'll be good with the booster/master/prop valve.You use rotors from a 1978 Monte Carlo only. Calipers are 1990 Celebrity, heavy duty V6, 2.5" piston As far as a prop valve, you only need a prop valve if the rear brakes lock up before the fronts, may or may not. You have one so use it.

As far as this kit, Scarebird decided to stop making that kit and I now manufacture it.

Last edited:

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Yeah that makes sense the only thing that was throwing me is cause of the fact you use calipers from a blazer and rotors from a Monte Carlo to do the disc conversion with the scared bird brackets.

He generally tries to use factory stuff(calipers, rotors) that will work on thing without too much swapping out. The rotors and spacer let you keep the factory spindles. Easy to find stuff.

Last edited:

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Is that a right stuff master & booster? The reason I ask someone told me the right stuff is junk, but then I’ve heard a ton of good stuff about them????

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Is
You'll be good with the booster/master/prop valve.You use rotors from a 1978 Monte Carlo only. Calipers are 1990 Celebrity, heavy duty V6, 2.5" piston As far as a prop valve, you only need a prop valve if the rear brakes lock up before the fronts, may or may not. You have one so use it.

As far as this kit, Scarebird decided to stop making that kit and I now manufacture it.

Is this the setup for the old Scarebird brackets I bought mine back around 2007 i believe and want to upgrade my calipers and rotors. Thanks for any help

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I didn’t know they had different brackets i bought mine in 2014 I’m going to look for pic

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This is what i have

Attachments

• 73F8367C-4E0C-4A76-9D98-44A959876FB1.jpeg
    73F8367C-4E0C-4A76-9D98-44A959876FB1.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 3