Scorpion Rocket PSA

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Oh I’m sure there is. I don’t run a girdle or even guide plates. I just don’t see a big enough return on investment. I would think a shaft setup would be $1200 plus. Usually shaft rockers come in at 800 pounds of spring pressure or 8,000 rpm. I have neither.
I am no engine expert but I think the example of 800lbs of spring and 8000rpm is mostly correct. Keep in mind that when an engine (such as yours) spends most of its running time at a higher RPM then its not 800lbs or 8000rpm but it might as well be. My current set up in the wagon is a tame kitten that I could shovel gravel down the intake and shrug and say it still runs at its low rpm all day long. (probably not literally) Your fine tuned world class sprinter engine gets the snot beat out of it every time it fires up. Consistently running as hard as you do I'm surprised you aren't running a girdle or even guide plates. I would say in your case and maybe a couple others on here that run real hard, a shaft setup (no matter the price) is not just worth the investment but an insurance policy in it self. Keep us in the loop with this, very interesting facts. :good

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well, I have hundreds of passes and no issue. The valvetrain is very happy. Usually if things aren’t happy you will find evidence before parts break. Locks that are super wedged in the retainer, chatter marks on the valve stem from the locks, valve tip damage, guides that wear quickly, valve pounding the seats, lash changes, etc. only problem I had was the exhaust valve tip was getting pounded. Solution: stiffer push rod. Not using guide plates allowed me to use a Manton series 5 pushrod which is not hardened for guide plates. The series 5 at .095 wall is as stiff as a series 3 for guide plates at .145 wall. So I get all the stiffness without the weight. A better investment over shaft rockers at this level would be titanium valves. I could then take a bunch of spring pressure away and it would be easier on the entire valvetrain.

El Rat

Well Known Member
No shit!
Before you make a fool of yourself take one of the good rockers and put it on the bad location. I predict the good rocker turns bad because the stud is off.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
No shit!
Before you make a fool of yourself take one of the good rockers and put it on the bad location. I predict the good rocker turns bad because the stud is off.
You could put it on any stud, 7/16 bolt, or a 7/16 wooden dowel rod. The result is the same. Nut hits the top of the rocker body on one side because the trunnion bore is not square to the body.