Screw top brake master cylinder

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Sorry Bob..............I wouldn't do it. It's around 45-50 years ago. The rubber cap and cup has to be deteriorated. Don't take ANY chances with your brakes. Just motor down to your local parts store and buy new parts!!!!!!

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I agree I worked for a company that manufactured rubber parts and anything over 15 years old was scraped. I just bought two AC Delco kits off Rock auto for a couple of my cars.

Bill

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I show new kits available. Just check your master if it's 7/8" or 1" bore, they list both. 1" was probably power but I don't know for sure.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm with everyone else, buy a new kit. The rubber cup in the Ebay auction looks like it's in bad shape.

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks guys. Guess NOS isn't a good idea in this case. :D

I checked advance auto and they don't offer them but Rock auto does have them.

Remember, keep your GM all GM. :D

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Try the vette parts places, my 63 had one of those. I always liked Paragon.

Don

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Bob,
Don't replace the master cylinder, what you buy at the local parts store doesn't even resemble what is on you car. Just buy the 1 inch master cylinder from the parts store, take the guts out and after honing and cleaning your old master cylinder put the guts from the new master cylinder in your old one. I've done this several times and had no problems. If the screw top on your old master cylinder is in bad shape, Zip Products (Corvette parts) sells a repo top for it. Now you've got a new master cylinder that looks and is correct.

bobs409

Administrator
Oh I wouldn't even think of that! I am going to buy a rebuild kit and keep this. (have to keep a few of the original parts!!) :D

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob, Are you saying your master cylinder has the big nut screw cap or the thumb screw cap? Thumb screw would be correct for 63.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob,
Don't replace the master cylinder, what you buy at the local parts store doesn't even resemble what is on you car. Just buy the 1 inch master cylinder from the parts store, take the guts out and after honing and cleaning your old master cylinder put the guts from the new master cylinder in your old one. I've done this several times and had no problems. If the screw top on your old master cylinder is in bad shape, Zip Products (Corvette parts) sells a repo top for it. Now you've got a new master cylinder that looks and is correct.

Why waste $30 on a master, the rebuild kit is only $12

bobs409

Administrator
Was going to order then I noticed different part numbers for Bendix or Moraine. ?? What is mine??

Here's rock auto:
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php?carcode=1324471&parttype=1840

First one on the list is for aftermarket cylinder so we can rule that one out. Last one is 7/8 so we can rule that one out as mine is a 1 inch bore. The 4th one is AC delco but it also says repairs aftermarket cylinder only. :scratch

That leaves #2 & #3 but mine is manual brakes and they say power. :smash Will none of these work???

:help:help:help

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Did you know a few years back they moved all their design studios from the U.S. to Japan ??:dunno:doh
:crazy:cheers
There's a lot more China parts in new cars then anyone realizes. A few years ago when my high dollar Chinese friend was still alive we met the guy from the business in China that makes axles and ring and pinions for GM. I just bought a new GMC truck and looking at the sticker it says made in Mexico and Canada, but there is a line that says 4% made else where, wanna bet that 4% is China.
China doesn't bother me as long as the parts are made to quality standards.